Chapter 13: Arnav

When she calmed, Arnav carried Khushi to the bed and settled her against the headboard. He leaned away, intending to get her an extra blanket, but she tightened her fingers on his shirt.

"Khushi ..." he whispered, trying to loosen her hold.

Her fingers slipped on his shirt and caught his sleeve as he rose. He stilled at the gentle pressure. When he turned, Khushi was shedding silent tears, looking as vulnerable and tortured as she had at Delhi Airport.

"I'm just getting you a blanket," Arnav spoke around the constriction in his throat, "I'll be right back."

She shook her head, trailing her fingers down his arm to trap his hand tightly between both of hers. Her eyes begged him to stay.

"Okay," he slid in next to her, "okay. I won't go anywhere."

Khushi rested her head on his shoulder after giving him a wan smile that broke his heart. Arnav leaned back and closed his eyes. His heart wrenched as he imagined Khushi, alone in their room and crying bitter tears over the abuse he'd hurled at her over the past few months.

It was easier to talk to her when he couldn't see her pain.

"Did you come alone?"

"Y-yes. But ... but Arnav-ji, it wasn't my idea," her pulse raced under his fingers, "Nani and Di, they ... they insisted."

He frowned. "Why?"

"I missed ..." her voice was barely a whisper, "I'll go back tomorrow. I just ... I know you don't want me here."

"No, no, Khushi," Arnav held her hand tightly, "Stay."

He opened his eyes as Khushi lifted her head to look at him.

"Stay," he repeated.

She nodded and hugged his arm tightly.

"You came such a long way alone. Were you scared, Khushi?"

"Yes" she said, not meeting his eyes, "but I was more afraid of not seeing you."

He held her, and when holding her wasn't enough, leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"Stay with me, Khushi."

She shivered against him, so he shifted them both until they lay next to each other. Khushi tried to steal his warmth, slipping closer and closer, so Arnav slid his arms around her and crushed her against himself.

The silence was broken by the growl of her stomach. Arnav smiled as Khushi started to get up, a blush already forming on her cheeks. He held her in place.

"Stay."

He tried to return the small smile she gave him. He let her run her fingers through his hair and over his face. She traced his eyelids, his cheeks, his lips, and he wished she would follow with her lips.