Chapter 19: Arnav

He would never tire of waking up next to her. If he could have one thing for the rest of his life, he mused, it would be that he always opened his eyes to see Khushi Kumari Gupta ... Singh Raizada. Sleep lent an air of vulnerability to Khushi that made Arnav want to protect her, to keep her away from everyone and everything that could hurt her. He was very much aware, however, that he was the cause of most of the pain in her life.

Life is one cruel irony after another.

The night of their disastrous Bali-in-Delhi honeymoon came to mind, where they'd been forced to share the sofa after burning the bed and throwing water on it. They'd started on opposite ends of the sofa but he'd spent most of the night ensuring she was comfortable, slipping closer and closer to her. It'd been the first time they'd woken up together, his head on her shoulder and her mangalsutra caught on his shirt.

He looked at Khushi, drinking her in, and she seemed to be doing the same with him. Their hands were still clasped. Arnav watched his wife as she gazed at him, her eyes flicking all over his face and returning, again and again, to his mouth. Desire flared through him, quick and bright, shredding through the iron control he'd been exercising all day. He'd kept himself safe, only allowing himself a few caresses and one chaste kiss to her hair, but now, he needed to be closer.

He wanted anything she would give him.

Arnav ran a light finger over her cheek, watching her eyes close at the sensation as her breath shortened. She leaned into his touch, unconsciously encouraging him, and he slid his fingers under her ear and into her hair, cupping her jaw. Khushi sighed as he allowed his thumb to trace her cheekbone.

"Khushi," he whispered, "do you still think you can do anything I challenge you to?"

She nodded, her eyes open and as wide as saucers.

"Okay," he continued, "then try to keep up."

Arnav leaned in and kissed her left cheek, quirking an eyebrow at her to let her know it was her turn. She returned his kiss shyly, leaning in to press her lips against his stubbled cheek. He kissed her other cheek, and she mimicked him. Her confidence grew as he pressed kisses to her forehead, her eyelids, her jaw, her chin, and she matched him step for step.

He buried his face in her shoulder, taking a moment to breathe her in before lightly kissing the hollow in her neck where her pulse raced. He leaned back, waiting to see how Khushi would react.