Chapter 11: Arnav

Khushi was running her hand over his chest, clearly unaware of the havoc she was creating within him. In fact, Arnav wasn't sure she was awake.

She stilled suddenly and her breathing, which had been slow and relaxed, hitched and gasped. He had barely a second's warning – a sudden tension in her body – before she launched herself up to sit on the bed and covered her eyes. Immediately, Arnav recalled the time he'd found Khushi hiding in his closet.

"What the -"

Khushi was crazy. Infuriatingly cute.

He sat up and waited her out. She slowly peeked from behind her fingers, and seeing him, squeaked in horror before scrambling off the bed. He couldn't stop a smile as he ran after her, his longer legs letting him to reach the door first. He slammed it shut as she squeaked again, standing with her back to it and allowing him to trap her there with his body.

Arnav couldn't deny that his wife was gorgeous. She was breathtakingly beautiful, even a few minutes after waking up; radiant despite her mussed hair and cheeks tinged red with embarrassment. Khushi studied his shoulder, refusing to make eye contact. He ran his eyes down her form, noticing for the first time that she was wearing his jacket over her clothes.

A few days after their wedding Arnav had caught her wearing his white shirt while she sewed together a blouse she'd somehow ripped. He'd never seen Khushi look sexier, but now he had a new memory to plague him on sleepless nights.

With these thoughts tumbling in his mind, and still reeling from the reality of her standing in front of him, Arnav couldn't stop himself from caressing her cheek.

She was real.

This wasn't a dream.

"What are you doing here, baby?" he whispered.

Khushi gazed up at him, wide-eyed and seemingly lost for words. He realized that he'd never spoken to her like that, not out aloud. She couldn't know that, in the privacy of his thoughts, he always spoke to her like this.

She was innocence. She was temptation. Arnav traced his fingers across her cheek and along her jaw, watching as her eyes fluttered shut. She didn't object, her permission clear in the tightening of her fingers on his shirt.

Love is destruction, his mind reminded him.

In her hands, even destruction seemed sweet.

A moth to a flame, he closed the distance between them, waiting until she slipped her hands around him before gathering her up in a tight embrace.

"Arnav-ji," she whispered, and he was lost.