Chapter 17: Arnav

They were seated next to a window that looked out onto London's busy streets. Khushi looked around in wonder, gasping at the chandeliers that hung above them and the rich wooden panelling that decorated the walls. Her eyes brightened when she spied the tables laden with food, and Arnav smiled as he explained that she could get anything she wanted. He watched as she skipped to the buffet area, returning with a plate of buttered toast and an orange juice that she placed in front of him.

"What about you?" he asked, touched by her insistence on taking care of him first.

"I'll eat once you have everything you need, Swami," mischief glinted in her eyes.

He allowed himself a quick grin before urging her to get some food for herself, and she returned with some toast and a cup of tea. Khushi enthusiastically dug into her food as she sat down, chattering about his family and telling him what they'd been up to in his absence.

"... and then Mami's brother came to visit. Arnav-ji have you met him? He's so forgetful, and they call him Masala-Mama! And Arnav-ji, you won't believe where Babli hid herself ..."

She didn't mention Shyam, but during some of her stories he noticed her eyes darken with fear and anger. His rage was only eclipsed by the guilt that he'd left her to deal with everything alone.

"Khushi," Arnav began when there was a lull in her stories, "didn't you get the text message I sent you?"

She stopped eating. "I did."

"Then why were you worried? You knew I was fine."

"No. Di called and you never answered. You didn't answer my calls either. Di left you messages. I started to worry when you didn't return the calls. And ... and I didn't understand why you sent me a message when you were ... you were so angry with me."

"I knew you'd be worried," he confessed, staring at his empty plate, "I knew you'd be awake."

Khushi reached over and placed her hand over his, chasing away his guilt and replacing it with warmth. He sat back and waited for her to finish eating before asking how she'd prefer to spend her day. Khushi gaped at him.

"Don't you have work today?" she asked, "Di said you were busy with a conference. I thought I'd watch TV in the room."

"The meeting was yesterday and I've postponed my trip to the new AR offices to tomorrow. Today I'm all yours."

Her eyes widened at his words and her blush returned. She opened her mouth a few times but closed it without saying anything. Arnav couldn't stop a smile – he rarely got to see Khushi speechless – as he helped her out.

"Come on, I'll show you around."