Chapter 22: Khushi

Khushi decided that she needed to learn more English. Firstly, this trip would be much easier if the was fluent like Arnav-ji. Secondly, she thought that her husband would love it if she could have a conversation with him in English.

Determined to start learning immediately, she peppered him with questions throughout their meal. Amused, he indulged her every request and smiled at her comments as she tried to impress him. After dinner, he took her for ice cream, which she ate while strolling back to their hotel room, feeling slightly guilty that he couldn't have any. Again, Khushi was struck by a strange disbelief that this was the same man she'd married. He was so attentive and loving, back to the Arnav-ji she'd spent time with in the lead up to Jiji and Jija's wedding.

Back in their hotel room, she left Arnav-ji working on his laptop and changed into warmer, more comfortable clothes. When she returned, he was on the phone with their family. It sounded like everyone was berating him for not getting in touch sooner. Khushi raised her eyebrows at him - she'd told him to call as soon as he could - and he smiled at her before turning his attention back to the phone.

She walked back towards the bedroom, intending to give him some privacy, but he stopped her.

"Khushi," he said, "Di wants to talk to you."

She took the phone from him, her fingers brushing against his and sending a delicious warmth zipping throughout her body.

"H-hello. Di, h-how are you?" she stammered, his intense stare holding her attention.

"Khushi-ji, forget about me, I'm absolutely fine. How are you? You haven't been in contact since telling us you had landed. How are you and Chotte*?"

Arnav-ji took her free hand and started making slow circles on her palm with his thumb. All of her thoughts flew away. He smiled crookedly and pointed at the phone, reminding her that she should respond.

"We're good D-Di. London is b-beautiful and I'm enjoying myself. Th-Thank you for arranging this."

"And Chotte? Do you feel better now that you're with him?" Di's tone became decidedly cheeky.

"Yes. Yes Di. A-Arnav-ji ..." Khushi's thoughts abandoned her again as her husband ran his fingers over her wrist, his gentle caress creating havoc as he worked his way up to her elbow.

"Khushi-ji?"

"Di! Sorry, I'm here. I just ... what ... what were you asking?"

"Chotte. Is Chotte being nice to you?"

"Yes Di, he's being very nice. He took me sight ... sightseeing today."

Arnav-ji's fingers reached her elbow and started their journey back down to her hand. Khushi struggled to breathe.

"He cancelled his meetings?" Di asked with surprise.

"Yes, he said he could work tomorrow. He ... he spent the day with me."

Arnav-ji flashed a wicked smile at her and raised her hand to his lips. Khushi closed her eyes as he planted a soft kiss on her palm. She was slowly unraveling.

"Wow! I never thought I'd hear that Chotte took time off to relax. You're a good influence on him. Nani and I are very happy we were able to send you to London."

"Y-yes. I'm enjoying Arnav-ji's hand." (haath = hand)

"Chotte's hand?" came Di's confused reply.

Arnav-ji started laughing, and it took Khushi a few seconds to realize what she'd said.

"No, not Arnav-ji's hand, I meant ... I meant his company." (saath = company)

Khushi's breath came in rapid gasps as she tried to correct her mistake, "And Lakshmi-ji's conversation. I miss talking to Lakshmi-ji." 

Her flustered reply seemed to amuse her husband even further, and he released her hand as he shook with silent laughter. Khushi let the phone slip from her hand, caught off guard by the sight of Arnav-ji doubled over and holding a chair for support. Her husband didn't laugh often, but she fell in love with him a little more each time he did.

She was too distracted by him to realize that she hadn't said goodbye to Di. He rescued the phone from the floor.

"Khushi's just being her clumsy self," he explained to Di while winking at her, still grinning, "Everything's fine."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Little Guy; Arnav's much-detested pet-name at home. He's six feet tall.