Chapter 21: Arnav

My girl's brave, there's no denying that.

Arnav sat back on the couch with Khushi snuggling into his side. He traced patterns on her arm as he wondered how far they could push this, how far she was willing to go, and when he wouldn't be able to stop any more. With a jolt, he realized that Khushi wouldn't stop him. She'd never stopped him, never shied away from his physical advances. In fact, her trust in him on Diwali had floored him: she'd been willing to let him kiss her, knowing he was involved with Lavanya, knowing his stance on marriage. Even then, she'd trusted him not to use and discard her.

And I destroyed that trust in return.

With this realization came a resolve to never push Khushi beyond what she was ready for. Her trust in him deserved respect, and he wasn't going to let her down.

Never again.

Arnav looked down at Khushi, who was still wrapped around him, and marvelled at the depths of her kindness. She'd forgiven him for that. Maybe, with time, she could forgive him for their wedding and everything that had happened since.

Arnav got up, pulling Khushi with him, and led her over to the balcony. The evening lights were stunning and she stood transfixed, slipping her hands around him and resting her head on his shoulder as she looked out. He wanted to stop time and preserve this moment forever.

We need to talk, he reminded himself, we need to talk about Shyam and the wedding.

"Arnav-ji, it's so lovely," Khushi interrupted his thoughts, "Thank you for showing me around today."

"Do you want to come with me tomorrow? You can see the new offices and then we can have lunch."

"Arnav-ji, that's your work. I don't want to get in the way."

"You wouldn't be in the way, Khushi," he tried to reassure her, "I'd like if it you came."

"Okay."

There was a long moment of silence, in which Arnav rejected idea after idea of how to begin the conversation they needed to have. His heart recoiled at the thought of causing her more pain.

Maybe it can wait. Mentioning it now will only taint her memories of today.

"Are you hungry?" he asked, wanting to stay in this bubble of happiness they'd created for a few more hours.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of food, and he chuckled.

"Let's go then."