Morwenna - Book one of The Daughters of The Stones Trilogy

Sorry it's taken a while to get this first chapter posted. I hope it was worth the wait. I will try to get more chapters up soon, but Gabe and Abby are calling me and I need to work on the second book of The Stormforce series. Thanks again for all your support :) Keep voting and commenting.

Chapter 1 

Beth leaned against the fence watching the activity in the field beyond. Liam, Rory and Joe were busy erecting the huge marquee that would be the centrepiece of the triplet's eighteenth birthday celebrations. She still had to pinch herself sometimes, thinking about how long she had been married to Liam. How the years had flown by, but they were still as deeply and passionately in love as they were that night at the stones. She felt the familiar tingles run down her spine as she watched Liam. He had stripped off his t-shirt and was pulling hard on a rope to secure the canvas structure. His jeans hung low on his hips and his muscles rippled with tension as he shouted something to Rory, who ran to tie off the line. Stepping back once the rope was secure, he ran a hand over his brow and glanced over at Beth. Their eyes locked and Beth felt the familiar tug in her stomach as he grinned at her. 

Even after all these years he was still sexy as hell, his body had filled out a little as he matured, but it was all muscle. They stayed locked in that silent communication, until Joe slapped Liam on the back and said something that made Rory burst out laughing. Liam shrugged and waved at Beth as he turned to carry on working. She shook her head and chuckled as she headed back to the farmhouse to check on the triplets. 

All thoughts of love and romance were rudely swept from her mind by the pandemonium she encountered when she walked in the door. 

"How many times have I told you not to help yourself to my stuff?" Morwenna's voice was loud, even though the girls were upstairs. 

"And how many times do I have to tell you that I did not take your eye shadow." Tregereth screamed back. 

Beth sighed and made her way upstairs. Oh how she wished the girls had inherited Liam's laid back attitude, instead of her fiery temper. 

"Come on you two, it's our birthday, please don't fight." Ailla, always the peacemaker tried to calm them down. 

Morwenna had just opened her mouth to reply to Ailla when Beth entered the room. She stood with her arms folded over her chest and looked at each of her daughters in turn. 

Morwenna stood red faced, her dark auburn hair a tangled mess of curls that flowed down her back. She was glaring at Tregereth, who stood with her hands on her hips in defiance. Her hair was held in a messy up do with a large mother of pearl clip. Stray locks had fallen out and hung around her face. Ailla stood between them, her face contorted with worry. She had a towel wrapped round her wet hair, her preparation's obviously interrupted by her sisters argument.  

Beth tried to suppress a smile when she noticed all three girls were stood in their underwear. Having inherited her slim build they were all comfortable in their own bodies, something she had always encouraged. Much to Liam's chagrin, as he had to put up with them 'cavorting around semi naked', as he put it, all the time. 

"I don't care who did what to whom, how many more hours is it going to take you three to get ready? The party starts at seven tonight, not tomorrow. So stop your bickering and shift yourselves. The guys have just about finished the marquee and the caterers should be here soon. I want you dressed and downstairs in an hour, you know we have guests arriving all afternoon and you need to be there to greet them." 

The three girls gave her an apologetic look and replied in unison. "Yes mum." 

Even though they were slightly taller than Beth, they knew not to argue with her. She had always tried to be fair but firm with them, and her temper was the stuff of legends. 

"Good, I'm going to give Trish a call to see how far away she is, so keep the noise down." 

As she made her way towards her and Liam's bedroom she heard Ailla speaking to her sisters. 

"I have loads of eye shadow, what colour did you want?" 

Beth smiled, Ailla was always the peacemaker, she seemed to hate confrontation and was the voice of reason when Morwenna and Tregereth argued. 

Morwenna stomped back to her bedroom clutching the make-up that Ailla had given her. Sometimes she hated being one of triplets. If having to share your clothes and make up wasn't bad enough, people could never tell them apart. A fact that always left her bemused as she felt she was nothing like her sisters, their characters were so different. Ailla could be really annoying trying to keep everyone happy all the time and Tregereth was usually off somewhere looking for strange plants to make her herbal concoctions with. Morwenna shuddered at the thought of some of her more disgusting attempts at face creams and teas. She was so wrapped up in her thoughts she didn't notice the small form perched on her window sill. 

"Well, you're a sight to brighten an old man's day, I must say." 

Morwenna shrieked and jumped back, her hand over her heart as it raced in shock. 

"Jory, what the hell are you doing in my bedroom?" She cried as she grabbed her robe off the back of the door and hastily put it on. 

"Oh come now, is that any way to greet me?" 

"You could come in the traditional way and knock on my door." She grumbled. 

"Now where's the fun in that?" He chuckled. 

"You are incorrigible." She sighed. 

"Don't get your knickers in a twist, I just wanted to wish you happy birthday before all the celebration's start, and remind you about the chat we had the other day." 

"Thanks, I think." She grumbled. 

"I nearly forgot. I have something for you." He jumped down from the window sill and pulled a small box from inside his jacket. 

Morwenna took the box and opened it. Her breath caught as she pulled out the gold chain that held what looked like an emerald in the shape of a heart hanging from it. 

"Jory." She whispered in awe. 

"This will help with those nightmares and headaches you get, I will explain more about it later when we meet at the stones." 

"But it's too much Jory, I don't understand why this would help me?" 

"All will be revealed later, now put it on and get dressed, Kerensa will be along later. She just had a few things to attend to before she comes over." 

Morwenna bent and kissed Jory's cheek, making him blush. 

"Thank you Jory." 

"Yes, well, it's nothing really." He stumbled over his words. Clearing his throat he pulled away and turned to leave. 

"Enjoy your party, I know this will be a memorable one." He waved and jumped out of the window. 

Morwenna stood staring at the window as she turned the necklace over in her hands. Jory and Kerensa had always been a part of their lives, it seemed natural to have two Piskies as close family friends. Not that everyone would understand that, and the girls had to be careful who they told about it. She lifted the necklace and fastened it around her neck, it sparkled in the sunlight and she felt a sense of calm wash over her. Taking off her robe she took the emerald green velvet dress that hung on her wardrobe door. As she pulled it over her head, she thought about what Jory had said. Would the necklace really help with her headaches and nightmares? They were something she had suffered from for as long as she could remember. No one could come up with a reason for them and countless visits to doctors and specialists had got them nowhere. She shuddered as she remembered some of the images in her dreams, if only Jory was right.