Chapter 5 - Preparations

Chaper 5 - Preparations

Everyone is getting excited about the ball but I find myself dreading that moment. I try to back off a couple of times but Charlie doesn’t even let me utter an excuse. He recognises the look in my eyes and before I open my mouth he says, “no.” Just like that.

That’s one of the bad things about your best friend knowing you as he knows himself. He doesn’t even let you protest. Damn you, Charlie!

Rhonda makes me drop invitations in every room with a week of anticipation and I have to help with the preparations. The retreat’s crew is everywhere working on all the preparations and celebrities, on the other hand, even leave the retreat centre to go shopping. The Summer Ball, as Rhonda likes to call it, is very popular. Everyone who knows of this centre also knows of this celebration. This year everything looks really fancy.

Liv calls me a few times to check for my dress. She doesn’t want me to see much of it, so I still have no idea what I’ll be wearing, but I know it’s a cream colour, like tea with milk. I like that, at least. I know it’s gonna be beautiful because Olivia is working on it, but I still think it’s a bad idea and it will blow up in my face. I’m a bit scared.

I’ve tried to avoid all celebrities, especially Niall after that evening at the barn with the horses. I don’t want him to spill his problems at me, I have enough with my own. I’m doing a good job because I haven’t ran into any of them or any other celebrity, although Jenny and Kimmy keep telling me that I have to keep an eye on the boybanders.

By the way, Jenny confirmed her beloved Niall, the love of her life, has a girlfriend and she is a model. I thought she was going to cry for three days, but she got over it when she found out Logan Lerman is also here. I guess her love was never pure. Niall is safe. I’m sorry for Logan Lerman, though. My stepsister will be all over him.

Since my meetings with Niall and Harry, I make extra sure no one is in the room when I come in. I’ve always done this, but now I’m just more careful than I was before. Especially with One Direction’s rooms.

Today I’m done with Niall, Zayn, Louis and Liam’s rooms, now only Harry’s is left on this floor so I hurry up to clean his mess and drop the invitation. I’m about to leave when the door opens.

No! I was so, so close. I almost got it.

My eyes meet green ones and I sigh heavily, trying not to be so rude.

“Ella,” he exclaims surprised. I’m impressed he still remembers my name. “What a lovely surprise. I haven’t seen you since that day I was in the shower.”

“Since I named you moth guy,” I tell him and he laughs. Ella, remember, don’t be that rude. “I’m done here, so I won’t bother you.”

He nods, but then he notices the envelope in my hands. “What’s that? A love letter?” Is he full of himself or what?

“Uh, no. It’s an invitation to the Summer Ball. I’m leaving one in every room,” I reply and he opens his mouth in an ‘O’ that reflects understanding. “Here it’s yours. It’s one of the events during summer. This year is a masquerade bash.”

He steps closer and takes the envelope of my hands. I try to walk past him but he moves, blocking my way as he opens the envelope and reads the invitation. “It says I can bring a date. Are you available that night?” He asks me and I roll my eyes.

“I’m not allowed to attend,” I reply and he looks at me suspiciously. “I work that night.”

“What a pity. I wanted to bring a lovely date with me,” he says sweetly with a cute smile. Is he serious or is he just mocking me?