Chapter 22 - My Friend Harry

Well, the bet doesn’t seem that nice after one week and although Niall and I meet almost every night, all what he does is speak of Cinderella. If I hated that fairy tale before, now I don’t even have words to describe my feelings towards it. Yeah, we get to speak about other stuff too, but it’s not the same. That topic always makes its way to our conversations and I’m tired. So tired that sometimes I think of just shouting at his face that I’m the bloody girl who kissed him at the ball, but that would mean losing the bet. So I bite my tongue and look away every time I have that feeling.

Charlie thinks it’s funny and he keeps saying I’m jealous, and it’s even funnier because I’m jealous of myself. I don’t understand his twisted mind, I don’t think it’s funny at all.

“All this would be solved if you just told him,” Charlie comments when we’re having lunch and I roll my eyes, which makes Liv laugh.

“Don’t you see the problem? Why would I tell him when he doesn’t like me? Cinder-fucking-ella is not me. The girl who talks to him at the stables, the girl who’s teaching him to horseback ride, is not the girl from the ball and he doesn’t like me like this. He wants the girl from the ball, who’s not me,” I explain for the millionth time. “We are the same but at the same time we are not. How hard is that to understand?”

“Very,” he replies with a frown and Olivia bursts out laughing.

“Ella wants Niall to ask her out and stop looking for Cinderella because she doesn't feel like that girl,” Olivia explains.

“Oi! I don’t want him to ask me out,” I protest and now Liv rolls her eyes. Even Charlie snorts.

“C’mon, even I understand that. You fancy him, a lot, but you’re mad because he likes that part of you, which you don’t like, better. Do I get it now?” He tries and Liv giggles but I frown.

“No.”

“Then I give up,” he says and throws his arms in the air. “This got too complicated for me.”

Liv is still chuckling when she bumps her shoulder with mine. “For the record, I do think you should tell him. Just to see what he does. You’ll never know until you tell him. If you want it can be after the bet,” she winks at me and I smile because that’s another important topic. I really want to win that bet.

I guess my friends are right, I am kind of jealous of Cinderella, this version of me that I don’t like. Seeing Niall so obsessed with finding this girl really puts me in a bad mood, although I know he is technically looking for me. It still pisses me off. I thought that seeing him with other girls would make me get over whatever feelings I had for him, but I was wrong. It only drives me mad. I’ve seen him with every blond girl out there, talking, flirting, and I always feel my fists tensing. And the worst part is that Kimmy and Jenny realised what Niall is doing and they are doing all what they can do to get his attention.

I’m impressed, though. My stepsisters are both blond but Niall hasn’t made them try the mask on. I guess he’s cleverer than I gave him credit for.

So I not only have Niall telling me his progress every night, I also have my step sisters asking me every day why Niall is making people try a mask and what he is doing. I have to lie all the time because I refuse to let them know Niall’s real intention. I know I always call them stupid, but they are not, just a bit clueless. Okay, a lot clueless, but I blame Rhonda for that. Anyways, I’m afraid that if they really know what Niall is trying to do they may even suspect I’m actually that girl he’s looking for because only I would run away from a celebrity in this retreat centre.