Chapter 7 - Happy Birthday

It’s July the first, which means… today is the Summer Ball, which also means it’s my birthday. I don’t know whether to be excited or to stay in my bed and pretend this day isn’t happening. Yes, I’m legally eighteen now, which means I’m a legal adult and I can make use of my money. However, I have to finish my contract until the end of the summer. Just two more months and I’m free of Rhonda forever, and this day just means I’m closer than I was before. She’s not my legal guardian anymore! That makes me happy. But this day also means, I have loads and loads of work. Running here and there, obeying orders so the ball is perfect. It’s been exhausting the last couple of days, I can’t imagine how it’s going to be today. I bet Rhonda has her list with all the things I’ve got to do today.

I sigh as I mentally prepare myself for the most exhausting day of the summer. This ball always makes my birthday a bittersweet day.

I push the covers down and take a deep breath, but then my door slams wide open making me scream and jump like in cartoons. I end up on the floor in a very tangled mess. How? I’m not quite sure yet, it seems like I’m defying the physics laws.

“Happy birthday!” A duet sings slash screams and when I pop up my head above the bead, I see Olivia and Charlie, grinning from ear to ear with a small cute cake in Liv’s hands. “You’re an adult now! I remember when you were a wee little girl!” Liv adds fake crying and I giggle.

I rise to my feet and I look like a human once again as I walk up to them. “I could’ve been naked, you know? It was risky of you two to walk in like that,” I tell them trying to look serious, but I’m grinning as well. “Thank you.”

“Happy birthday!” Charlie exclaims again hugging me quickly. “Quickly, make three wishes and blow the candles before the cake is ruined!”

I chuckle and do as instructed.

To be the best doctor…

To leave this place and never see Rhonda and her daughters again…

To never lose Liv and Charlie.

I finally blow the candles and both of them cheer and clap, well, only Charlie claps. I smile at them grateful. I know the Summer Ball was once to celebrate my birthday, but it’s okay if I don’t have that anymore. I have Liv and Charlie and just a small cake with three candles is enough for me. Maybe no one else knows or remembers my birthday, but my two friends will never forget it. Liv always brings me cake and is the first to wish me a happy birthday, and this is the first time Charlie can be with me, as well.

Yes, I’m really grateful they are here.

Liv puts the cake aside and gives me a huge hug. “Group hug!” Charlie shouts before joining us and I laugh happily. They are my family; in my heart, they are my real family. I don’t care about legal terms.

“I hope your wishes come true, Ella. You deserve all the happiness in the word,” she tells me stroking my hair in the same way my mum used to do. Liv never got to meet my mum, but both have something in common: they never failed at make me feel loved and appreciated.

“I’m happy,” I tell them because despite everything, despite the hell of life Rhonda makes me live, I’m happy when I’m with them.

It’s all a matter of perspective at the end, isn’t it? If I only focus on the bad aspects I’ll always be miserable, but there are good things in my life and I just have to hold those closer to my heart. My dad always said ‘Don’t let the bad things take your smile away’. And I’ve made that my life motto.