Epilogue - Happy Endings

Seven Years Later

So I'm at a wedding.

Come on, every fairy tale has to end with a wedding, right? This story couldn't be an exception. However, no, this is not my wedding. You actually thought I was getting married? Not yet, I'm too young. I'm just starting a new stage in my life.

I'm a doctor. Charlie and I made it and I just recently came back from my first trip to Africa, Rwanda to be specific. Believe me, it changed my life and opened my eyes in so many ways. There's so much to do, so many ways to help. I have so much to do but the good part is that I have the tools and the will and I'll do my best to help as many lives as I can. I know my parents would be proud of me.

So the wedding... well, it's Olivia's wedding. I'm so happy for her because she finally found someone who respects her and loves her and cherishes her. She's so happy, and she's been so happy with Sean for four years already. I was really excited when Liv told Charlie and I about the engagement. And yes, she wanted me to be the maid of honour but I was just leaving to Africa when she told me so I couldn't really help. Still, I'm a guest of honour, just like Charlie.

It's great to be all together again. I've missed Liv. Although Charlie and I were always together, studying. Liv had her life already, she was ahead of us.

The retreat centre... it's still working and helping celebrities. Sometimes I go there just to check on Rhonda and how things are going. It's funny how life works, isn't it? Jenny met a musician, but he's not famous. They ran away together so now she's his groupie and I know Rhonda suffers every night for that. Kimmy, on the other hand... she came out a year after I left the centre and I would've loved to be there to see Rhonda's face. I think she's getting married to an actress, not as famous as Rhonda would've liked but she accepted it anyways. Or that she told me. So the centre is okay and all the income I get from that, I use to help every foundation I can.

Well, my professional life is great. I'm a happy doctor, but what about my love life? It's been exciting! Okay, not really. I've dated a few guys and it's been great. My longest relationship was of two years and he wanted to take the next step but I wasn't ready. I was still studying and I still don't want to get married. I have loads of things to do first.

I smile as I realise how happy endings are a thing after all. We all get different kinds of happy endings. Charlie is also doing great as a doctor and he also met a girl before we even went to Rwanda and he seems really in love with her. It's lovely, I even feel sappy myself. I think I understand how he felt when I was in a relationship and happy. 

On the other hand, Liv found Sean and he's an amazing guy. He is a producer, not a big one, but he does quite well. I think the most important part is that he loves her with all his heart, which is what Liv always wanted. 

Me? I've got what I wanted, as well. My dream, my freedom. And I've enjoyed every moment of it. That's my happy ending.

I look up and I see my friends. I see Liv and her husband dancing, laughing and enjoying their party. I see Charlie making his girlfriend laugh as they dance and I can't stop smiling. I didn't come up with a date for the wedding but that's okay, I'll dance with Charlie later. I'm content by seeing them so happy.

Life doesn't have to be the perfect love story to be amazing and beautiful. You can enjoy yourself and still be happy. You can be single and still have a happy ending. A wedding with your prince charming isn't always the happy ending. I speak from experience.

"Ella?" I hear someone saying from behind.

I take my eyes off of my friends to turn around on my chair and see who's calling my name and I blink in surprise. It's been seven years but I recognise him immediately and I can't believe it. I can't really believe it, as much as I can't believe that my heart skips a beat, even after all this time.