~Chapter 4~

Wandering around the small farm that resided in the Hinterlands, I surveyed the various cattle that were up for sale. The Inquisition had been requesting that we get cattle in order to create our own farms, ensuring that our people would be fed. I marked down to have a few of each animal send to the Inquisition, handing the bag of coin over to the farmer. Just as I was about to leave, I heard the small squeak of young Mabari pups. The farmer lead me to them after I had inquired, a small pen was set up on his deck where they were held. Five chubby Mabari pups wobbled around inside, all varying in colours and markings. I picked up a light grey one, cuddling him against my chest as he began licking my chin. Darker grey stained his paws making it look like he had shoes on, along with a tear drop just above his little black nose. His tiny tail wagged as he sniffed my chin, nipping at it slightly.

"How much do you want for him?" I asked, smiling at the pups reaction. The farmer stood, stroking his chin as he eyed the pup,

"They are not for sale, but since you bought so much cattle, Ill give him to you for free. Consider it a gift." He sniled, patting the pups head.

"Thank you." I smiled, making my way back to Skyhold.
~

Soft snoring in my arms made me smile as I entered my quarters, laying the sleeping pup on my bed. I began to pull apart a pillow, creating a make-shift dog bed that I placed next to mine. Picking the pup up, I set him in his bed and tucked a blanket around him. Flipping through one of my favourite scriptures, I searched for a name to give him.

"Rex." I muttered, referring to the noble knight that had vanquished an Ogre from a small village. I glanced down to the side of my bed as soft yipping had begun, the pup stood wagging his tail so hard his whole backend swayed. "Rex." I repeated, smiling as his ears rose in response. After a few moments the pup began responding to the name with ease, understanding that was his name. "Are you hungry?" I muttered in a baby voice, receiving some enthusiastic whines as Rex wiggled around licking his black nose.
~

I lead him down to the kitchen, Rex cautiously trailing behind me. I was surprised at the obedience he possessed at such a young age, but it was to expected by a Mabari. Placing a few small slabs of meat into a wooden bowl, I prepared his food. As soon as it was placed in the floor, Rex jumped at it. His tail wagging vigorously as he chewed the meat. Several of the cooks stopped, glancing at the pup with wonder, then smiling as they continued their duties.
~

Everyone in the Court yard gathered around, cooing at Rex's cuteness. Dorian pulled Bull towards the crowd, his moustache rose as he smiled, kneeling down in front of Rex. Bull knelt down next to him, putting his hand out to the pup. Rex turned his gaze towards me, as if asking if it was safe.

"Go on Rex." I smiled. Rex sniffed at Bulls fingers before wiggling his butt, dancing around playfully. Dorian chuckled and began speaking in a baby voice to Rex, as he flopped over and began rolling in the grass. Most of the day was spent letting Rex get use to his new home, meeting everyone in Skyhold. I hadn't seen Cullen at all, and wondered if he was still within Skyhold, or if he had been sent out. My thoughts were diminished as Rex began jumping around, chasing some butterflies that fluttered from the grass. I let out an "Aww." As I followed behind him.