9 | toffee and flapjacks

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

-Helen Keller-
________________________

Dedicated to redunkulous for all her amazing comments on this book.

________________________

- L I L A -

Helena stood at the threshold of the door, her head lazily leaning against the frame as she crossed her arms in front of her. "Not your boyfriend, huh?"

I looked up at her mid-bite, setting my flapjack down on my desk. "What are you talking about?"

Yasmine pushed past her, and flashed me a grin. "She knows about your date with Matthew."

A half-laugh, half-groan was emitted from my mouth as I allowed my head to fall against the headrest. "Right... my date with Matthew." My fists clenched in my lap and I smiled. "It doesn't mean he's my boyfriend."

"Yet." Yasmine interjected with raised eyebrows whilst Helena entered my room, and plopped down on the desk chair.

"So where's he taking you?"

Yasmine nudged my legs with her knee, causing me to cross them whilst she took a seat at the end of my bed. I shrugged and positioned my elbow on the side of my knee, placing my chin in the palm of my hand. "I don't know, he said it was a surprise."

Yasmine giggled and scooted back to rest on the wall. "See, I told you he liked you."

I tilted my head to glance at her, and rolled my eyes. "It doesn't mean anything, though." I pointed out. "This date could go horribly wrong."

"Or miraculously right." Helena challenged, reaching for the rest of my flapjack. Staring at her, she smiled sheepishly, and offered me the crumb that lingered in the packet.

I tightened my jaw, and blinked. "You're going to get me another one from the kitchen."

Yasmine slapped my ankle and screamed quietly. "He's picking you up at 7 and it's 6; you need to get ready."

Helena rose from her seat and proceeded to exit my room, turning her head at the last step. "And on the way, I'm going to tell mom and dad. They ship it."

---

As soon as there was a knock on the door, my mom squealed whilst I had to remind myself that I actually had inhale oxygen to breathe.

My dad released a shaky laugh. "Okay, as much as I want you two together, don't have too much fun." He winced and rubbed the stubble on his chin. "Say hi to Matthew for me, and don't stay out too late."

My mom ushered me out the door and waved at Matthew, shaking her head at her stupidity when she processed that he was unfortunately blind.

"Hi." His voice was a gentle whisper, a lazy, soft smile adorning his features.

For once, he wasn't wearing his glasses. His eyes almost glimmered in the soft light the gibbous moon provided; his eye were a cloudy grey.

Smooth Sailing  ✓ On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara