11 | peanut butter and jelly

Find something that makes you happy and don't let anyone take it away from you.

-Luke Hemmings-
_________________________

- M A T T H E W -

"What exactly are you trying to tell me, Isaac?" I sighed, picking up Toby's leash and hooking it to him as we exited the vets.

"Could we get to my car, first? I really need you to hear me out."

I frowned slightly and turned my head in his direction before nodding and following his footsteps. "Is what you want to tell me that bad? Did you sleep with someone and get them pregnant or something?"

He released an awkward laugh and breathed in shakily. It was only until we reached his car that he cleared his throat and tapped the steering wheel.

"Matthew." He quietly began. "I'm not sure whether or not Lila told you that she picked me up last night, but I was really drunk."

As he paused, I hummed in agreement. "Yeah, she called me last night."

"The thing is," he continued, starting up the engine. "I haven't been completely honest with you regarding Lila and me. And don't interrupt me, I really need to tell you before I explode with guilt."

Guilt?

"I liked, or maybe still like, Lila, and yesterday, I told her. And I know you like her, which means I'm not going to do anything more on my feelings for her, but I kissed her."

My breath hitched in the back of my throat as I felt jealousy surge through me at a stronghold at the thought of Isaac kissing Lila. "Y-you kissed her?"

"I'm sorry, Matthew." He apologised. "I was drunk and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't."

"I don't want to compete with you again, Isaac." I confessed, dragging my hands down my face. "That's the last thing I want to do. The only thing I wouldn't mind competing in with you, is who has the best hair, but with girls - with Lila, I can't do it; I won't do it."

"I really liked her - and I know you don't want to hear this, but that kiss was refreshing, and - this is the part you want to hear - I think I'm getting over her."

I closed my eyes and gripped the ends of my hair loosely. I couldn't act like him kissing her didn't hurt me, because it did. Unsurprisingly, it hurt a lot, just like it did with her. "Isaac..." I shakily spoke. "This isn't the first time you've done something like this."

There was a sharp intake of breath on his part as Toby whined quietly. "Matthew, don't bring that up."

"Why? Why can't I bring up the fact that you did the exact same thing when I was dating Vanessa?"

"I'm sorry, okay? I thought we were passed this. Matthew, this happened a year ago."

I laughed humourlessly. "I've tried to forget, Isaac. I've tried to act like I was okay, but I'm not. When you were ignoring me when I first moved here a a few months ago, it felt like it did last year, when Vanessa told me that you two had a 'thing.'"

"It wasn't a thing." He spoke, almost as if he was in pain. "We kissed a couple of times, but that was it and-"

"Are you really my friend, Isaac?"