10 | tarts and cheescake

Pain demands to be felt.

-John Green-
_________________________

I've been thinking about doing this contest thing where you guys (if you wanted to) could maybe write a one-shot based on this story. And the top three would get a prize (it'll be good I swear). Also also, it doesn't matter whether you're my friend or not, the judging won't be bias :) so, would anyone do it?

This is probably the longest chapter I've written for this book, over 3000 words :)
_________________________

[Don't be a silent reader :)]

- L I L A -

Katherine greeted me with a warm, welcoming smile, separating her arms to pull me into a hug. "He's up in his room," she spoke, gesturing up the stairs with her head. "Toby is still at the vet, so he's kind of down in the dumps."

Angus leaned his head back, averting his gaze from the documentary that was being displayed on the television screen. "Try to cheer him up a bit, he can do with some laughter in his day."

Nodding, I sauntered up the stairs, my bag slung loosely over my shoulder as I reached his door. Through the small gap, I noted that he had his earphones in, and pushed the door slowly, hoping to not hear any loud creaks.

When I successfully opened the door without a sound, I watched as Matthew yawned loudly and turned on his side, allowing his leg to dangle off his bed.

"Good morning." I chirped, taking an earphone out of his ear.

The slight buzz from his headphones seized as he pressed on his iPod, lying on his back with a sigh. "I really don't want to go on this trip."

My features morphed into an expression of confusion, and I frowned slightly. "Why? We literally have no classes for the whole day."

"What I mean is, I don't like this shirt, it just doesn't feel right. But neither do my other shirts. I just didn't wake up in a good mood."

Eyeing the shirt that adorned his body, the corners of my lips lifted into a smile. "That shirt looks great, and plus, you don't have enough time to change anyway, we need to go."

He rose with a long groan, his body moving in a slow, lazy manner before he grabbed his phone out of the charger. Then, with a glance directed my way, he slowly grinned. "Good morning to you too."

As we descended down the stairs leisurely, Angus faced us, from the couch, with a smile that leaned towards the sly side. "So, Matthew finally smiles - I wonder why."

Ducking my head down, I didn't even bother releasing profanities at the feeling of warmth flooding my cheeks, catching onto what his dad was implying.

"Yeah, whatever." Matthew mumbled, turning to the side whilst restraining a grin from making its way onto his face. "I'm going to be home at around 7, are you and Mom going to be here?"

His dad shook his head. "Your mom isn't going to be here, but I will."

"Okay, see you later."

---

Nudging him with my shoulder, he lifted his head from the window, turning to me with a tired, lazy smile. "What are you listening to?"