Prologue

"Eomma!"

The little 6 year old pup wailed, her eyes widened with fear, trying to grab at her mother's sleeves, her efforts in vain.

"Eomma where are we going?!" She tried again, but her mother - who was frantically stuffing clothes and necessities into a small suitcase - continued her actions without answering the small girl, who was beginning to cry at her mother's strange behaviour.

"Sweetie, come on!"
The woman finally zipped up the bag and grabbed her daughter's hand, pulling her to the window.

"The window? Why can't we go downstairs?"
The girl pouted, and her mother gulped. The pair of them could hear shouting and smashing coming from downstairs, and the woman clasped the girl's petite frame in her arms as she pushed open the window as far it would go.

First she slid the suitcase out, resting it on the conservatory roof, before cautiously stepping out herself, with her child in her arms. Once fully out of the window, the woman carefully stepped closer and closer to the edge of the roof, all with a pounding heart.

She sat her daughter to the side before clutching the suitcase and sliding off the edge, her landing wobbly but she exhaled with relief at being on the ground. She quickly held her arms up for her daughter who immediately followed motion and fell into her mother's outstretched arms.

The woman placed her index finger to her lips, indicating for the little girl to be silent and, being the well-behaved child she was, the girl nodded and copied the action.

Gathering the child into her arms once again, the woman tiptoed around the side of the house and broke into a run as fast as she could with the heavy bag.

The little child was confused and worried, unsure of what was happening; why was her Appa still at home? Why wouldn't Eomma let her go downstairs? Why were they running?

Her mother finally came to a stop at a small cottage house, which the girl was familiar with.

"Oh, Aunty Yujin?" She perked up, a small excited laugh escaped her lips as she clapped her little hands together, not noticing the strained look on her mother's face.

"Yes, sweetheart, you're visiting Aunt Yujin," The woman nodded, stepping up to the door and immediately rapping her knuckles on the door, which swung open within seconds.

"Oh, Ji Eun-ah," Yujin greeted before the smile was wiped off her face after seeing the state of her younger sister carrying her young child, with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Take care of Seulbi for me, Unnie," She pushed the child into her older sister's arms and the suitcase into the house, before placing kisses on her daughter's face.

"Eomma loves you okay, Seulbi-ah?" She whispered, caressing the girl's hair. "I have to go back to Appa now."

"But Eomma," The little girl began to cry, trying to reach out for her mother who had already begun to run away.

She was scared, fearful; she wanted her mother and father even though her aunt was trying to comfort the crying girl.

That was the day Seulbi lost her parents; the humans had heartlessly murdered her family.

And that was also the day Seulbi learned that if she didn't want to end up dead, no matter what happens, she had to keep her true identity a secret.

---------------------------------------
Vote and comment!
💛