1.

"But mom!" I groaned, following quickly behind her as she rushed around the house, grabbing everything important to her.

"Why do I need a babysitter? I'm seventeen!"

"Because I'll be away and I don't want you getting yourself into trouble!" She hissed, turning around rapidly. I would have bumped into her if I hadn't come to a quick halt.

She looked me frustatedly into my worried eyes, but she calmed herself down immediately as soon as she saw me. I was a young reflection of her, and I knew that she was just as worried as I was that she was leaving me for a job. She was going out of state, and I wouldn't be seeing her for months, possibly years if everything goes well.

The only reason she wasn't taking me with her was because it wasn't guaranteed that she'd get the job. What she was going through required a lot of training before the job is actually official. She'd be living from hotel to hotel while she's there, and she didn't want me to go through it with her. Besides, even if I did go with her, I'd be alone in the hotel anyways since she would be off working. If she happened to end up getting the job officially, in that case only would we move. But for now, she was having someone come over to babysit me.

My mother was always proud of me for everything I have achieved, and I knew that all she wanted was for me to live a happy life. She wanted me to stay the sweet, young, innocent girl I've always been, and I knew that giving me a babysitter was one of her many attempts to keep me pure.

But I was seventeen. I knew how to take care of myself. Growing up with someone as responsible and as caring as her, I knew everything I needed to know. I could survive on my own if I needed to.

Getting a babysitter seemed just as unnecessary to me as it would to anyone else. But I knew my mother's intentions were only to protect me.

She took me into her arms, and I let all of my sorrows stream through my once bright, joy-filled eyes.

"I'm going to miss you, mom." I told her.

"I will miss you too, Rose." She assured me, stroking my long, blonde hair in comfort. "I promise the guy who will be taking care of you will treat you well. I looked deeply into this babysitting thing. I wanted to make sure everything is perfect just for you. You're still my little princess as you always have been, and you deserve the world and more."

I pulled away from my mother, looking into her bright eyes in which I saw my own reflection. I wiped away my tears and put a smile on my face.

"I'm glad to have you in my life."

"Oh, Rosie. You know I'll always be here for you. If you ever need anything while I'm gone, I'm only one phone call away." She reassured me, as she has explained this same situation over and over again, just to make sure I am in the best condition possible. I nodded, already aware of the repeated information.

"I know." I guaranteed her, and she smiled.

There was a short silence for a moment, but I knew exactly what was on my mind. And I wanted to speak of my curiosities.

"Hey, mom?" I called out, just as she started walking across the room to continue getting her stuff ready.

"Yes, sweetie?" She replied, turning back around to face me.

"Do we have time to talk about him?" I asked her. "The babysitter, I mean."

"Well, of course." She said with a smile, her eyes twinkling. I could tell she was happy that I was interested in the topic.

She took a seat on the couch, and patted the space next to her, signaling the invitation for me to sit beside her.

I walked over to the old couch, the one that reminded me of my childhood. I remember sitting beside my mother on this couch throughout my entire lifetime, whether it be to hear her tell me a story or to vent to her. Now it was to say goodbye, and to speak of the one person who would be taking her place. It's weird to think that the title of "mother" would be replaced by a man.

"Before we talk about him I just wanted to let you know that I've spent months talking to him and we've become good friends now. I knew for about a year that I would be going away so I really tried to plan in advance. I'm not housing you with some random man. I know and trust him to take care of you."

I nodded my head in response, taking in her words. It was relieving to know that she took the time to get to know him really well.

"What would you like to know about him, hun?" My mother questioned me, as soon as I was seated.

"Well, perhaps I'd like to know his name before we get into anything else about him." I suggested.

"His name is Harry."

"Harry." I repeated, in a slight mumble.

"Okay. How old is he?"

"I recall he is age twenty-four."

"Wow, he's young." I acknowledged, raising my eyebrows in confusion.

"Well, I tried to find someone you could relate to in a way. I wouldn't want you to spend the next few months or so with a strange old man." My mother chuckled, as did I.

"Does he have children?" I asked.

"I'm sure I remember him telling me he didn't have any, but he had a girlfriend." She said.

"Had?"

"Yes, he explained that they broke up recently. It just wasn't meant to be, he said." She shrugged her shoulders, seeming somewhat clueless to the topic. I understood though. Maybe Harry didn't wish to talk about it.

"I see. Where is he from? Does he live close?"

"No, he is actually from England, but yes he lives close now. He actually just recently moved into town."

"He's British and you didn't tell me? Mom!" I stood up off of the couch, beaming with joy. "When will he be here?"

"He should arrive at least ten minutes before I leave."

"And you leave in half an hour, right?" I grinned, trying to contain my excitement. I didn't want it to seem like I was glad my mother was leaving now.

"Yes, a little under half an hour." She replied, grabbing my hand and pulling me back down next to her on the couch. "Don't get too excited. You might just explode with joy." She chuckled. I took a deep breath.

"I know, I know." I thought for a moment, the room silent as my mother's eyes were on me. "I'm actually a bit nervous now."

"Don't be. You're a wonderful, well-behaved child. He will appreciate your presence, as you will surely appreciate his too." My mother comforted me.

"Oh, but we know I won't appreciate him as much as I have appreciated you all of my life." I grinned.

"Don't make me tear up now." My mother sighed, aware that she would have to leave very soon.

Just as I was about to speak up again, I heard a knock at the door. Right away, I knew exactly who it would be. My heart was beating a mile a minute as my mother stood from her spot, and she grabbed my arm to bring me along with her to greet him at the door.

My nervousness increased rapidly as my mother turned the handle to the door. And when the door began to open, I was drawn back by the man that stood on the other side. He exceeded my low expectations immensely, and I was increasingly more nervous with each second that passed as my eyes met his.