Chapter Three

Magnus was already chatting it up with everyone at the precinct once Alec and Jace let him go. He was quite the storyteller, judging from how interested the other officers seemed so enthralled with his words. They never took their eyes off him once.

Neither could Alec.

"Alright, so his apartment is on 47th street so I guess we just bring him home? Trust him enough to come into work tomorrow?" Jace flipped through Magnus' file. "I wouldn't trust that just about as far as I can throw him."

Alec shook his head. "He can't go home."

Jace looked up through his glasses. "What?"

"He can't go home. He told me this earlier. Said something about his cat being pissed off at him. But then he said it was more complicated than that."

Jace shrugged, an "okay whatever" gesture. "Just remember that he's our responsibility. He runs, we hunt him back down and his ass goes to jail for real. No deals. No nothing."

"I know," Alec nodded. He continued to watch Magnus from his desk. There was something oddly fascinating about the way Magnus spoke with his hands. They were very expressive as he waved them around for more emphasis to his story. Alec couldn't look away.

"Hey. Earth to Alec," Jace snapped his fingers in front of his brother's face.

Alec snapped out of his daydream. "Yeah. I agree. That's a good idea."

Jace grinned. "I didn't even say anything. You've been staring at Magnus for the past ten minutes."

That's how much time had passed? "Oh. Sorry. Just keeping a close eye on him, I guess."

Jace smirked. "He's in a building crawling with cops. Even if he tried to run, he isn't getting very far. Plus I think he's smart enough not to try." He glanced over his shoulder then back to Alec. "Wait....you don't think he's hot, do you?"

Alec squeezed his fingers nervously, a habit he's had since he was a child. "What? No. That's ridiculous. He's a guy. I like girls." He quickly flicked his gaze to a female officer walking by. "Damn. That.....booty."

Jace completely lost it. He keeled over and laughed so hard that his glasses fell off his face and onto the floor. "Oh my god! Oh fuck, that was the greatest thing ever. Alec....bro. I know you like dudes."

Alec swallowed past the lump forming in his throat. "What?"

"You like guys. So what? I was never one to judge anyone for their sexuality. Love is love. Hell, even I think he's good looking. There's no denying it."

Alec scowled. "Don't patronize me, Jace. You're just saying that to make me feel better." He leaned back in his chair. "How long have you known?"

Jace picked his glasses up off the floor. "How long have I known? You tried to kiss me when we were kids, Alec-"

"Yeah but we were kids. We were stupid."

"So? Some kids know from a young age who they're most attracted to. Maybe you knew?"

Alec groaned. "Look, can we drop the conversation before someone hears us? This isn't exactly a welcoming precinct. There's practically a zero tolerance for homosexuality."

Jace raised his hands in surrender. "Okay. But if you ever need to talk or anything, I'm here for you. Or if you need a snuggle buddy-"

Alec threw a pencil at him. "Shut up."

Jace began to laugh just when Magnus came over to their desks, a huge smile on his face. "What's all the excitement over here? We're throwing pencils at each other."