Bonus Chapter 3

I originally had a little scene planned in chapter eleven just after Magnus and Jace tracked down Alec's badge. Alec is in the alley delirious with pain. These are the thoughts he's having as he's laying there unconscious.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Alec wasn't exactly sure how long he'd been laying in the dark and damp alley. He wasn't even sure if anyone was ever going to find him. He may very well just die here by himself. Bleed out. Get eaten by stray cats and alley rats. Either one would be a welcome exit to the pain he was feeling throughout his entire body.

A rat moved past his head but he was too stiff and sore to even bother moving. His face didn't feel like his own. He couldn't quite feel his legs. Did he still have his tongue? He checked. His tongue was still there. Camille's goons didn't cut it off in the heat of the moment. How nice of them.

The ground was wet. He knew this because there was a cold dampness creeping along his back. It wasn't blood. Blood would be warm. It hadn't  rained since last night but in New York, it was rarely dry. When it did rain, everyone practically had to build a metaphorical ark for 40 days and 40 nights. It rained for days sometimes.

It started raining when Alec tried to move again. The rain pelted down on his face so hard it felt like needles poking at his skin. With more rain meant only more rats; Alec could hear them squeaking around his head, trying to get a bite in. He moved to try and shake them off, but it only resulted in a wave of agony throughout his entire body.

Someone called out to him off in the distance. The voice sounded muffled; like someone had stuffed cotton inside his ears. The more he tried to strain his hearing, the worse the sound got. So he gave up altogether.

"Alec? Are you here?" The voice called out again. It sounded closer than the first time and much more familiar.

Struggling to sit up, Alec croaked "Magnus?" before falling back down against the wet cement. He didn't have the strength to move in case it was someone from Camille's office coming back for a round two.

More voices. More pain. Alec was aware that he was answering questions but wasn't sure what questions were being asked. The last thing he remembered was that he grabbed Magnus' hand as a wave of pain went through him, and the darkness overtook him again.