Chapter Eleven

Magnus Bane had hair the color of black coffee. As strange as this may sound, it wasn't cold or bitter like coffee one would expect to drink after its cooled down. His hair was the color of coffee that you wanted to wake up and take a deep breath to in the morning. Warm. Welcoming.

Alec knew this because he'd been watching Magnus sleep for an hour. It was 5 am, which was the normal time he woke up to in the morning, and as he was getting ready to work out, he took a quick glance at Magnus on the couch. He was breathing deeply, his chest rising and falling with every breath and Alec suddenly felt a clench in his chest as he suddenly thought about each breath being Magnus' last.

Chill out, Alec. Relax. You're thinking crazy thoughts

He picked up two 25 pound weights and began his reps. His hip ached and throbbed but he ignored it which probably isn't the best idea in the long run, but he didn't care. He needed to blow some steam. Last night didn't exactly go as planned (especially with the unplanned kiss) and his nerves were haywire this morning.

"Why am I being such an idiot?" He grumbled to himself as he gripped his chin up bar and and pulled himself up. "This is stupid. This whole thing is stupid. Jace and I can solve this case without Magnus. We don't need him."

He pulled himself up again, holding the position as Magnus let out a snort from the couch. Alec thought he was laughing but he wasn't. He wasn't even awake; he was snoring peacefully. Alec let out a relieved breath at this and continued his chin ups. The last thing he needed was for Magnus to wake up and rake those eyes over his body again.

Once he finished his workout, it was breakfast time. Nothing tastes better than scrambled eggs, fruit and bacon after a good workout. Protein and carbs. Wash that down with a cup of coffee and his day was made. Naturally, he planned on making extra for Magnus. It was the least he could do for him. He did make that incredible meal for them last night. This was his way of saying thank you.

He cracked open four eggs and mixed them in a bowl. Magnus was still snoring away even when he was making a racket in the kitchen. Chairman Meow was perched on the counter, watching Alec pour the now mixed egg into the frying pan. He meowed softly and nudged at Alec's hand as his fur was gently stroked, purring like a chainsaw.

"Who's a good kitty? Chairman Meow is a good kitty. Yes he is. Little Chairman is so cute-" Alec froze when he turned to see Magnus sitting up on the couch, his hair a complete mess from what it usually was. "Oh. You're awake. I didn't hear you get up."

"Just woke up. Smelled eggs and coffee. Were you coddling my cat just then?"

Alec picked up Chairman off the counter and placed him on the floor. Chairman looked absolutely offended by this and meowed in protest. "No. He jumped on the counter. I was just disciplining him."

"By rubbing his head and talking in a baby voice?"

"Listen. Do you want breakfast or not? I can eat this whole thing. Bacon and all. I just finished a workout and I'm hungry as hell."

Magnus looked Alec over. Was the detective aware that he was shirtless? His sweatpants hung dangerously low on his waist, accentuating those delicious hips. The veins in his arms bulged as he shook the frying pan around to spread the egg evenly around. He was a sight to behold first thing in the morning. "You know it's only after 6, right? The sun isn't even up yet."

Alec popped a piece of bacon in his mouth. "I like to get a head start on my day. Makes me feel more productive. What time do you usually get up?"