Chapter 8

This chapter is dedicated to letstwistagain for being an awesome-sauce writer, a hella good person and and an encouraging friend. Honest to God, she's pretty amazing. ❤❤
___________________________________________

Voicemail of 6th February' 2015

12:17 a.m.

"Hello, love."

His voice was still hoarse, a little bit better than before though. My eyes burned with unshed tears as I remembered his last voicemail. Before he had sounded broken, but now the sound of his voice managed to convey some streaks of confidence in it.

"I'm sorry that it's very late right now...

"Blimey it's past midnight!"

He laughed meekly then, the usual signs of warmth and joy nowhere to be found. It was funny how my heart clenched in pain at this, as if it were missing his melodious laugh.

"Well, I guess one ought to lose track of time when one is being held captive inside a smelly old hospital room.

"I swear, Ems, you'd stop complaining about our neighbour, Bill's, murky flat if you were to step a foot inside this room of mine."

He sighed.

"Oh, what I'd give to hear your incessant ranting right now."

He stopped talking for a few seconds. I took the phone away from my ear and squinted at the bright screen light to check whether the voicemail had ended.

No, it was still running.

While waiting for him to start talking again, I looked around my room to notice, for the first time, that it had grown a tad bit dark. I hadn't even realised when evening had begun to fall. Sighing, I got up to turn on the lights and then sat back down, just as his voice came across once again.

"Emma, they... uh the doctors and nurses, they say that...that I've been in a coma for four years. Four years, Ems. Four bleeding years...

"And the last thing I remember is dancing with you on New Year's Eve."

He breathed in deeply and then sighed into the phone's speaker; I breathed in deeply and then gasped into the twilight's warm air. Shaking my head, I closed my eyes shut. May be if I pretended to not acknowledge all of this, it might go away.

"I...uh I don't know where I am and no one seems to know where you are. Everyone I turn to either tells me to calm down or just straight off ignores me.

"We never knew that hospital staff could be this rude, eh? Hell, I had to fight and claw my way to this phone, and even then I had to wait till past midnight to get a chance to call you!

"But that's okay, love, I'd do anything for you. And I know it in my gut that you're out there somewhere. I just... I know it; doesn't matter what everyone else insists or doesn't insist on.

"So, I'll find you, my darling. Even if I have to search the whole bleeding planet, I'll find you. And then I'll make everything the way it was - the way we used to be, happy."

My hands started shivering; and I willed myself to believe that it was because of the slightly chilly weather, but deep down I knew that that was not so.

He was willing to search the whole planet to find me and I couldn't even remember him.

"Just stay where you are, okay love? Stay right wherever you are and stay safe. I'll get out of here and then I'll come for you. I promise."

Again he let out a forced laugh; again breaking my heart a little further.

"After all, you still need me to kiss you good luck every twenty-four hours. Who else out there will ever succumb to your gormless wishes?"

Another forced laugh - he might as well have been positively set on killing me.

"Good night now, Ems.

"I love you."

I sighed, but do I love you...?
___________________________________________

Lyrics of song "I will be right here waiting for you" by Richard Marx:

Oceans apart day after day
And I slowly go insane
I hear your voice on the line
But it doesn't stop the pain

If I see you next to never
How can we say forever

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you

I took for granted, all the times
That I thought would last somehow
I hear the laughter, I taste the tears
But I can't get near you now

Oh, can't you see it baby
You've got me going crazy

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you

I wonder how we can survive
This romance
But in the end if I'm with you
I'll take the chance

Oh, can't you see it baby
You've got me going crazy

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you
Waiting for you
___________________________________________

Hey guys. So this is the eighth chapter and I really don't know what to write here in the A.N... :)

Share, vote and comment.
Do all three! You must!! XD

Toodles.
Much, much, much love,
-zainab