17: Black Magic, Woman

Vera Blue - Hold

_____________________________________________________

"Ow... Ow. Sam, how much more blood could you possibly need?"

Katherine's older brother looked up from the syringe and shined me a cheeky grin. "As much as needed sweet thing. Gotta do what we gotta do. Now, sorry but lemme just-"

He handed the syringe to Kate before she ran back to her little cove on her living room floor. Very gently, he lay his large hand on my forearm. A shiver ran up and around my spine. Samuel's power was quite unique. From one single touch he could get any and every bit of information from a human, witch, vampire, whatever crossed his path.

When he was younger, he wasn't able to control it. He wore gloves permanently. But now thankfully, he knew when to turn it off. And right now Kate was using my blood and Sam was trying to... actually, I didn't really know what Sam was doing. Micah and Kate had told me to come over but didn't really specify what they were doing.

So all I had to do was sit here and let a coven of witches work whatever voodoo they needed to do. Micah Roberts was sat on the other end of the dining room table touching his finger tips to the braille on the pages from one of his old notebooks. I hadn't seen him in so long. His dark beard had grown considerably; I can always appreciate a man with a good beard. His green eyes still brilliantly bright as he stared blankly ahead.

Kate was sprawled out in the living room with maps covering the wooden floors. Her hair tied up above her head as she crawled back and forth from one end of the world to the other, the blood they'd taken from me sitting idle in a bowl beside her.

And Callum was being completely unhelpful sitting beside me. "You're going to be so thirsty by the end of this."

"Why are you here?" I repeated for the fifth time tonight.

"Because this is interesting. Three witches working hard to locate two of the oldest people to still exist. Plus, I want to see if they do manage to do it."

"We will." Sam reassured removing his hand from my forearm. I breathed out a sigh and shook away the discomfort. Whenever he used his power it always left a bad taste in my mouth. It was intrusive, plucking such personal things from me without permission. I couldn't control what he took but he could choose what he wanted.

He smiled all of a sudden and said, "Awh, your first steps were so cute. Baby Chels was adorabl-"

"So invasive." I interrupted with a frown. "Why did you go back so far?"

"Just seeing where the wind takes me if I'm honest because these two aren't giving me much to go on."

Micah turned his head in our general direction and grinned underneath all that beard. "Be patient, Sam. We're still searching for a way to do this. Unfortunately, it won't be like locating any other vampire or witch, they will have protection spells and diversion spells, they're smart I can guarantee it."

"Yeah but they don't know we have a direct blood link." Sam said. "If I could get through to that part of Chels it could work."

I glanced a Kate muttering away in Latin using a spoon to drop small droplets of blood onto the various maps. Amazingly, three or four moved across the paper but for the third time tonight, it poofed into a small flame. Thankfully, Kate had placed a flame retardant sheet beneath all of the maps. And for the third time she crunched them up and replaced them with new ones.

"How many times are you going to do this?" I asked.

Kate huffed a sigh and stood. "Until we figure this out."