Epilogue: The Future is Unwritten

Good Times - Elderbrook

________________________

Epilogue

I stared at the arrivals gate, my excitement growing with every new hoard that exited. There were families, couples, groups of friends; such a different array of people exiting the terminal. It was warm this early evening, the last of the sun shone through the sliding doors and window behind me.

"How do you think they travelled?"

I turned to a glowing Evie with a smirk and replied, "I'm sure the girls travelled fine. It's Christian's ears after a 21-hour flight that I'm worried for."

Her dimples winked at me as she frowned. "How much do we bet they'll be arguing out of the terminal."

"Thirty."

"Deal."

Another wave of people rounded the corner of the departures exit, I held my breath but exhaled when I couldn't spot Christian. This was probably one of so few times I'd actually agreed to meet Chris at the airport instead of him turning up as a surprise. I smiled fondly at the memory of what it was like before. I could finally smile at the memory instead of flinch or turn away from them. If it wasn't for Cairo and the Steinsson's, who knew how long it would have taken for Chris and I to be together.

He was my adventure, my true love. And the years hadn't changed how much I loved him.

"There's Christian."

I shook my thoughts away and caught eyes with the mischievous man I called my partner and lover. Had we thought about marriage? Yes, I certainly had and so had Christian, he was old fashioned after all. But at no point had it been a dire need for us, especially when we had forever. We could get married next year or in the next twenty, it could be extravagant or small, on the beach of Thailand, in a church in Canada but it wouldn't matter to either of us.

I mean, he proposed. That had been in such a Christian way I quite obviously couldn't say no.

We'd been hand in hand sneaking in the rain forest of Peru – I was there for work for over a year – away from a couple of vampire's when he'd yanked me away from view, whipped a ring out of his shorts pocket and said, "Say yes to marrying me just in case they ruin the moment?"

"This shouldn't have even been a moment!" I'd stressed, nervous sweat running down the back of my neck as my heart beat a tattoo against my ribcage.

He leaned his head forward. "But...?"

"But yes, yes of course I'll marry you now shh before they hear us!"

I twisted the ring on my finger as the man approached me with a tired smile. "Hello,"

"You look exhausted," I pecked his cheek. "The girls that much trouble?"

"Well, we all know Mia doesn't travel well." He replied giving me a warm embrace then hugging Evie. "They're behind me with the luggage. I can't believe I've missed a week of Bali with everyone."

"You volunteered to get those herbs for Kate and Micah. I've missed you."

I could never get enough of the love that shone so brightly in Christian's eyes. It didn't matter how much time passed it hadn't changed from the day we shared our first I love you's. I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a quick kiss. "I've missed you too."

Out of the corner of my eye, Evie's loving smile turned down as she looked ahead. I followed her gaze at the bickering girls – or should I say young women – hoarding along way more suitcases than they need for a two week vacation.