First Call

Chapter 3

Winnie gave us the details as we flew through the streets. “Shots fired at a public park. Witnesses said that one minute it was calm, and the next a guy is pulling out a gun and shooting a woman.”

“Do we have any idea who this guy is?” I asked, not really expecting a positive answer.

“Nope, but uniforms on the scene are working on it.”

“Alright, thanks Winnie.” Sarge said. And then immediately began to hand out assignments.  I’ll negotiate. Jules, you’re my second. Spike, you’re in the truck. Ed, Sierra One.  Sam, Sierra Two. Wordy and Jess, cover me.”  By the time we had confirmed we were there.

It was a nice park, nothing particularly special about it. The usual set up with benches, trees, a jogging path, and a small playground for the kids. But for some reason it was here that someone was pushed over the edge.

As we pulled up I was out the door before Ed could put the car in park. “Ready to go Jessie?” He teased.

“A little too ready if you ask me.” Sam said as he passed us with a Remy.

I glared at them both, not bothering to defend myself. If it’s one thing I’ve learned from growing up with brothers is that sometimes it’s better to be quiet and right than right and in a circular argument.

I joined up with Wordy, Jules, and Sarge. We moved in and Sarge started working his magic. “I’m Sargent Greg Parker, with the Police Strategic Response Unit. I just want to talk. Maybe we can start with you name.”

A pause and then a hesitant, “James Knight.” If you can call a person hesitant and agitated at the same time.

“Alright. Why are we here today James? What went wrong?” Then in a lower voice, “Spike.”

“Already running the name.” Spike’s voice crackled over the headsets. “No criminal record, except one parking ticket from a couple years ago. Over the past year he’s been through a nasty custody battle with his ex-wife.”

We all made the connection at the same time. I was the first one to voice it. “Oh crap.”

Sarge asked for confirmation of our fears. “James, the woman you shot. Was she your ex-wife?”

“Yes.” No hesitation.

“Why did you shoot her?”

“She wouldn’t let me have Ryan at all. Not even on weekends. No supervised visitation. She just wanted to cut me out of my son’s life.”

Sarge swallowed. “I understand how much it hurts to not be allowed in your son’s life. It’s the worst feeling in the world. But it doesn’t mean it all has to go bad. “

James took a breath. “What was I supposed to do? Just let her keep my son away from me?”

“No. You find another way. You find the right words. She was shot in the leg. She has a pretty good chance of surviving. With time you can make everything that has happened to day right. Let it end here before you do something you can’t make right, something you can’t take back.”

James stood there in silence for five long minutes. Then he flicked the safety on the gun and tossed it on the ground.

Wordy and I moved in. I grabbed the gun and Wordy gave James a quick pat down and snapped some cuffs on him.