Team Bonding, Sibling Squabbles, and Puppies

Chapter 4

After debriefing Sarge let us go for the night. As I walked out of the locker room digging for my keys my brother stopped me. “We’re headed to the Goose; you want to come with us?”

“Yeah.” I said hoping he could hear the Duh, dripping from my voice.

He caught it. “Well then, meet you there. Smart ass rookies cover the first round.”

I rolled my eyes and headed out the door.

Twenty minutes later we were all assembled drinks in hand. And the interrogation, I’m sorry friendly questioning, began. Sam decided to take the lead. “So Jess, what makes the head of a Narcotics squad want to transfer to be the rookie at SRU?”

I rolled my eyes. “It’s SRU. The most prestigious assignment in the department. How could I turn down the opportunity? Besides I needed a change of scene. I was getting too much of the same story in Narco.”

“What’s your opinion of working with your brother?” Spike piped up.

“Well I’m sure you guys need someone to keep him in line-”

Eddie interrupted me, “Hold it, they need someone to keep me in line? No. It’s more like this team is lucky I’m here to keep you in check.”

“Come on Ed. Who broke Mrs. Flowers’ fence when we were kids?”

“What you’re really asking me is who got caught next to her broken fence. You’re the one who got it to fall over trying to climb it. I got caught because I was standing there in shock that you broke the fence and ran away.”

That version may have been true, so I moved on before I could be questioned on why I was climbing my neighbor’s fence. And if you’re wondering, I was retrieving a baseball that went into her yard. “I wasn’t the one who broke her window.”

“You’re the one who pitched the ball to me.”

“Bad hit.”

“More like bad pitch.”

Before we could continue Sarge cut in. “As amusing as it is watching you to argue about who was the biggest juvenile delinquent, I feel it may erode your relationship as teammates-”

I felt bad for doing it, but I cut him off. “You’re trying to find a polite way to tell us to shut up because we’re being annoying. Aren’t you?”

“Perhaps.”

I smiled and took the final swig from my beer, and then glanced at my watch.  “Sorry guys, but I got to go. Dex had been alone all day.” I grabbed my purse and stood up to go.

As I turned to leave Spike spoke up. “That your boyfriend?”

I turned and raised an eyebrow. “No, he’s my dog. German Shepard.”

Spike then said what I believe is the bravest thing a guy could say to me with my older brother sitting right next to him. “So what is your boyfriend’s name?”

I smirked. “I don’t have one, but thanks for playing.” And with that I gave a wave and left.

I unlocked the door and was greeted by a very large overjoyed dog. “Hey boy.” I said kneeling down to his level. “How was your day?” He sat and gave me a pointed look. “Sorry I was gone so long. It’s the job. Want to run?” His ears perked up at the last part. “Alright.” I said grabbing his leash. Let’s go.”

One hour and four miles later we were back at the apartment. After lapping up a full bowl of water Dex circled around and flopped down on the floor in my room. I changed, got into bed, looked at him, and rolled my eyes. That was only going to last another 30 seconds. I turned off the light and rolled over. Almost immediately I felt him jump up and lay at my feet. “Good night boy.”