I Hate Mornings.....But Work Makes Them Better

Chapter 5

The alarm nearly gave me a heart attack. It gave its ungodly squawking and I turned into the world's most ungraceful ninja. Dex looked unimpressed. "Whatever dog face. That jump was at least an eight." I said before heading to the kitchen in search of food. After consuming a package of Pop tarts, a yogurt, and a bowl of Frosted Flakes, headed out.

When I arrived at SRU Spike was the only one there. "Hey." I said walking into the workout room and hopping onto a treadmill.

He looked up and grinned. "Morning."

"You are way too cheerful for five in the morning."

"It feels like a promising day."

"And what makes it feel so promising?" I asked.

Before he could answer Eddie walked in with Sarge and Wordy. "How is the queen of sleeping in able to be one of the first ones here at this early hour?"

I shrugged. "Caffeine? An alarm that sounds like a duck being killed by a dying cat?"

For the second time that day I had a conversation interrupted. This time Sam and Jules came in, and the moment they set foot in the room the alarm went off.

"So what are we looking at?" Sarge asked as we made our way through morning traffic.

Winnie filled us in. "Lone gunman in a high school, no shots fired yet. But here's what you're probably not expecting...the subject's not a student, he's a teacher. A Mr. Fletcher."

I looked over at my brother. "Come again?"

"Actually it's more like former teacher. He came back today to collect his stuff, and then he snapped."

"Why was he leaving?"

"Got fired for drug possession. Some kids told the office their suspicions, when they asked to check his desk he let them, and they found a baggie of coke in the bottom drawer."

By then we had arrived at the school. We got out of the trucks and moved toward the office. "Who were the students that turned him in?" Jules asked.

"James Mitchell and Oliver Nass."

"We'll start by tracking them down." Sarge said before repeating the names to an office aid.

"They both have Mrs. Moretti this hour." She said.

"You mean they actually came to school?" I asked.

Eddie looked at me. "Why wouldn't they?"

"Because those two can't be described as model citizens. I busted them both more than once when I was in Narco."

"Alright. So maybe our guy's trigger was being framed by some druggies. Or maybe he's mad that he got figured out. Either way we need to move. Spike command post with Sarge, Wordy and Jules take first floor, Sam Jess with me on the second."

Sam and I followed Wordy up the stairs. "We should start with the room the two kids are in." Sam said keeping his voice low.

Eddie nodded and we started down the hall toward the door. We were about 6 feet from it when we heard shouting. "I think we found him." Eddie said

"How's it look?"

Eddie nodded to me and I moved closer to peek in the window. "He's got the two of them lined up in front of the board. The rest of the class is over to the side out of the way."

"Jess if you want to try to talk him down knock on the door, if not I'll go up there."

Second day and I'm being offered a talk down. That seems fast. I took a breath. "You'll be talking me through it?"

"If you need help I'll be in your headset."

I took another breath. "Alright. Let's do this." I knocked on the door. "Mr. Fletcher. My name is Jessica Lane from the Police Strategic Response Unit. Can I come in? I just want to talk to you."

Sorry to leave you guys like this. I was on a roll and if I didn't stop here I wouldn't be able to post tonight. Next chap coming tomorrow afternoon. Saturday at the very latest. Reviews fill me with happiness and sunshine.