Things Go Sideways

Chapter 6

"Mr. Fletcher, I'm Jessica Lane from the Police Strategic Response Unit. Can I come in? I just want to talk to you."

He looked up a little startled. Keeping the gun trained on James and Oliver he came over to the door and cracked it open a hair. "Why should I talk to you?"

I glanced at Sam who nodded, and I lowered my gun. "We're trying to figure why we're all here today. I figured you might be the best person to ask."

"I'm not the person you need to ask. They are." He said gesturing to the two boys.

"Alright. Then I'll talk to them. Either way, we need to be in that room."

"You can come in. They can't."

"I have to have at least one of them in there covering me Mr. Fletcher. Team protocol."

He sighed. "Fine, that one." He said pointing to Sam and then opening the door enough to let us file in.

The minute I set foot in the room James and Oliver straightened up. "Officer Lane?" James, looking like he had just touched a bug zapper.

"Hey guys. I thought the last time I busted you two we agreed that we wouldn't be seeing each other anymore."

"We thought that too ma'am." Oliver said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Don't think you can play me guys. I know how you work remember? Now which one of you wants to tell me why my team is here today?"

"They called Narco for this?" James asked.

"Do I look like I work for Narco at this point of my life? I moved up to SRU boys. Get with the times, and one of you, tell me what the hell is going on."

"Getting a little riled up Jess. Keep it calm."

 "Got it."

Oliver looked confused. "We didn't say anything yet."

And this kids is why you don't do drugs. It will make you stupid. I tapped my headset. "I was talking to my Sergeant. Now, one of you talk to me."

"We don't know." James burst out. "We're sitting in class trying to get and education, and he comes busting through the door with a gun telling everyone to get to the side, and us to get in front of the board."

"You know James; I thought after all the time we have spent together at the station we would be past the lying phase."

"I'm not."

"You are and you know it." Mr. Fletcher burst out. "You planted those drugs in my desk. You knew when the principal asked me I would let them check my desk because I have nothing to hide. You ruined my career. All I want is to know why you did it."

"We don't know what you're talking about." Oliver said. Voice calm. Face, not so much.

Mr. Fletcher moved his gun hand like he was about to raise it again. I tensed. "Mr. Fletcher, if you raise that gun Sam and I are going to see that as a threat and we're going to have to raise ours, and possibly have to shoot you. And I really don't want to do that."

"Why did you do it?"

James looked at me. I gave him my look that says Spill. Now. "It was locker search day. We didn't want to get caught. Then we saw it as a brilliant opportunity to get rid of the teacher who had come so close to getting us expelled many times. "

I saw in his face the exact moment when he snapped. He pointed to gun at the two.

Sam and I immediately had him in our crosshairs. "Mr. Fletcher. Drop the gun now. There's not anything that's happened here that can't be undone."

"What do you mean? I was going to jail anyway. I wanted to go to jail for something, not nothing. And now, I don't want to go at all." He said suddenly turning and pointing the gun at me.

I fired, he went down, I froze.

Day two and I've already taken a lethal shot.