Chapter 4: First Time Around

Piper and Alex walked into the New York Fertility Institute in Manhattan at around 10 a.m. and they took a seat. Alex was anxious that they were actually doing this. Piper was nervous that it was never going to happen. It was a typical thing to fear for someone who wanted children. Alex held her hand and whispered in her ear, "It's gonna be okay, Pipes."

Piper rested her head on Alex's shoulder. She said a silent prayer that she would get pregnant that day.

Ten minutes later, the door opened. "Piper Vause?"

Piper and Alex stood up and headed toward the nurse. "Come with me please." The nurse flashed a smile. Piped felt safe here. She and Alex had checked a bunch of places before they decided on NYFI.

The nurse walked them to a room and said the doctor will be right with you. Five minutes later, the doctor came in. Dr. Aiden Smith shook hands with both Piper and Alex. They had met once before when looking for a good fertility clinic.

"How are we feeling today?"

"Feeling okay. Little nervous."

"What she said", said Alex.

"Well, we're going to take good care of you. Hopefully, we can make this happen for you."

Piper smiled, imagining what it'd be like to find out she was pregnant.

A few minutes, Dr. Smith was ready to get started. He had gone over all the risks and the possibilities of multiples. Alex had gotten nauseous over that thought. Piper was nervous but knew she had to have hope.

An hour later, the treatments were done. They then did blood tests. Dr. Smith told her and Alex to come back in 4 weeks to see if Piper was pregnant.

Alex and Piper took the subway home. Even though Alex was still uneasy about this whole thing, there was a possibility that a human being could be forming in her wife from that moment forward. She made a vow to protect Piper from everything to ensure her safety.

They arrived home and Piper went to empty room right next to theirs. Alex followed right behind her. She came up behind Piper and hugged her. "You think this room will be filled in nine months?", said Piper.

"We'll see, kid. We'll see."