Chapter 16: Better In Time

Alex headed back up to the NICU, but Piper wasn't there. She figured she headed back to her room.

She was right. She walked in the room and saw Piper laying in the hospital bed, sleeping again. Alex figured Piper was sleeping away the pain of her seeing her babies like this. Alex just sat down in a chair and just held Piper's hand.

A few hours later, Piper awoke to Alex's soft hand holding her own. Piper loved when that happened. Piper loved that Alex was right by her side. She truly was the best wife in the world.

She didn't want to wake Alex, so she slipped out of the bed and headed down to the NICU to see the twins. She knew nothing had changed in the last few hours, but she wanted to see her babies.

She went into the NICU and saw them the same way they had looked a few hours ago. It broke her heart to see them this way. Both of their incubators were close enough together that she could stick each arm into each incubator to touch the babies' hands. "I'm here. I'm here."

She sat down in a rocking chair that was there for mothers who visited their babies in the NICU. She couldn't stand the sight of her babies like this, but she didn't know if her children would make it through the night. So she wanted to spend as much time as she possibly could with them. She just held their hands and kept telling them that she was there and that everything would be okay.

She ended up falling asleep in the rocking chair.

Alex woke her up in the morning to tell her that both babies had made it through the night. They were both grateful for that. Even though she hated to see her babies suffering, she was glad they made it through the night.

They both remained hopeful that they would get better in time.

And they did just that.