Chapter 4: Invisibility

I slowly lifted my eyelids and allowed for the light to hit them. I squinted as I tried to remember where I was. The ceiling didn't consist of any stars, unlike my room, and the bed felt different. More cozy.

I soon turned my head while shifting my body so that I lied on my side.

My eyes widened as they lied upon the most beautiful thing- Katherine sleeping. She looked so peaceful and happy.

A big smile crept its way onto my face as I stared in awe. Pure joy overwhelmed me as it suddenly hit me. Ms. Hale, my teacher, truly cared about me. She had my best interest. She saw the hurt in my eyes. She saw the despair in me though usually no one would notice because my forged smiles masked the pain within me.

She saw right through my mask.

Another thought hit me though as my mind started to wake up. I was in my teacher's house, and I slept in her bedroom. I was crossing boundaries that I never thought I would cross. If someone were to knock on that door right now and witness this, it wouldn't look good for us.

And, with what luck, I heard something pressed against the front door. I felt my body cringed as I debated what I should do. Should I ignore it?

I then looked at the sleeping beauty and wondered if I should wake her up. I'd feel more comfortable if she dealt with this. I mean, it was her house. But, the thought of waking her up, and for her to possibly get irritated by me for doing so, overwhelmed me.

I'll just answer it.

I dragged my worn out body to the door and took a deep breath before opening it.

A tall man stood before me.

"Hello there." He greeted me.

I stared into his coconut brown eyes and then downward at the package he was holding.

"This is for you." He handed me the package, which I accepted a bit hesitantly.

"For me?" I questioned. How did he know I'd be here?

"You are Ms. Katherine Hale. Right?" He arched a brow. Oh, well that makes more sense.

"N-no." I laughed lightly. "But-"

Before I could finish my sentence, I felt a presence from behind me, and I heard a feminine voice say, "I'm Katherine Hale." I remained frozen, unable to move, and my shyness returned as my cheeks reddened.

"Ah..." He looked at Katherine, and then to me again, trying to put the two together. "I see." A grin appeared onto his face. "Well, good morning to the both of you. Sorry for stealing it." He smirked playfully.

"You didn't. I should have been awake anyway." Katherine asserted, with a small smile resting on her lips.

I looked at the watch on my hand and noticed that it was eight a.m. School started at seven fifth-teen! I've never been late in my life!

Katherine saw the concern in my eyes and held me close as she waved the man goodbye.

"I hope to see the two of you again, sometime soon!" He spoke before the door closed.

He seemed nice.

Immediately, I released myself from my teacher's grasp,and I put my book bag over my shoulders.

"You aren't planning on going out like that. Are you?" She smirked, watching me struggle.

Katherine placed the package, unopened, on the glass table in the living room, not once letting her eyes leave mine. "What?" I then let my eyes roam my body, and I gasped. "I-I didn't bring any clothes with me... and I don't want to go back to my house just yet. My da-" I then paused, realizing I almost told her my secret. Katherine seemed to be taking notice of my sudden pause, but I continued anyway. "I'll just have to go to school like this..."