7

Speechless was an understatement to describe my loss for words.

Was it me who was out of touch with reality? Was this some kind of a realistic dream or something?

All these years, especially added with yesterday's ordeal, reconciling with Edward was something that could only happen when pigs gained wings and flew. However, the fact that he swerved from his previous answer and took heed of my request, made it plausible.

And just like that, we were officially friends... at least for the time being. I didn't have the opportunity to interact much with him during lunch, as Sebastian and he have already left to settle down with their basketball team.

During all the remaining classes, those so-called important lectures fell on deaf ears, even as I mindlessly took notes of the important topics. Establishing friendship with Edward had my brain conjured out countless plans. We can walk together after school, hang out and play arcade, watch movies, or go to the amusement park.

Then it would just be like the old times.

My mouth tore up into a broad smile while I tidied up all the books in my locker. However, I mentally slapped myself from waltzing with euphoria. Don't dream too big, Rena. This is just the first step. There's still lots to do.

"Earth to Rena!" A voice ousted me off my fantasies, and I was met with a waving hand in front of my eyes. "You home?"

"Oh, y-yeah...!" I stammered. See, now you're wishing too much you even forgot your best friend's still around! Dammit, Rena.

"You've been so ecstatic, but I'm seriously happy for you. Good job!" With a smirk, she patted my shoulders. "I don't know what made Edward change his mind, but he better keep his word, else I'm gonna blast him to outer space."

I laughed sheepishly, but I was definitely in sync with her. Now I just needed to figure out how to carry out all my next plans. It might take some time and patience.

As we went down the stairs, my ears picked up on someone calling my name from behind. Almost immediately, we glanced from our shoulders in unison, watching as a familiar man hopped down the steps and catching up with us.

Sebastian.

There was no way I would miss the salt-and-pepper streaks adorning his hair, and the short textured fringes falling into his brows. Back then, I would always marvel at such an idiosyncratic color, as he often concealed underneath the safety of his hat. I never asked anyone else or him directly, until...

"You could have just asked. I don't care." Young Sebastian's sullen voice resonated within me. While the others were busy setting up their games, he approached me and removed his hat, brushing through his hair. "I don't dye it. It's genes. Got it from my dad." He sneered. "Weird, huh? Don't worry, I got strange looks all the time."

I had merely accepted his explanation without demanding for more. I have seen people with natural silver hair, but they either have a handful or because they were growing older.

Sebastian's smile grew wide and his brown eyes twinkled when I waved his hand at him, but they immediately grew cold when my best friend drew his attention.

"Ugh, here comes the douchebag," Aly groaned, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

"Whoa now, that's not how you greet an old friend," he retorted. "Still snappy like always."

"Heh, friend? You?" She scoffed. "I never considered you to be one."

I sighed under my breath.