8

Wednesday, 12:12 PM.

"You sure you're visiting them? Should I accompany you?"

Perhaps I should have built up more confidence in approaching the basketball team today. To add more, Aly had been pestering me since the morning. My other friends, on the other hand, had been grinning and giving me pats in the back. Of course, they—mostly Naomi—were already pairing me up with Edward, and that their ship finally sailed into the open seas.

"It's fine Aly... I d-don't need any help." I mumbled under my breath, peering at Edward's group three tables away. Boisterous laughs rang out from them as they seemingly nudged one another. Meanwhile, Edward kept himself low on his lunch and gobbled on his food.

I did not expect much from him when it came to having convos and or showing lively expressions. Ever since that accident, his preoccupied scowl had replaced all of that. And even if there was a smile from him, it was probably a sneer. Not sure if that counts, but... he still looks so cute eating, though.

"Besides," I started, going back to my concerned best friend. "You already helped me so much, Aly. I don't want to depend so much on you. I... I'll do this alone."

"Aw, look Sam, our tomato has grown!" Naomi fawned, staring dreamily at me.

Tomato... I breathed heavily. They resorted to calling me that because my cheeks could literally turn scarlet red in seconds. One time they took a zoomed up video of me without me knowing, and when I noticed them, I felt like I was on fire.

"Well, just so you know, we all got your back!" Samantha tentatively embraced her arms around Naomi, before hauling themselves closer to Aly as if they wanted her to join in a group hug. However, she snuck right out before they were able to tackle her, causing them to whine. Meanwhile, Mark muffled with chuckles as he took a bite of his burger.

"Aly, don't be so cold," he said.

"I don't do hugs," Aly countered before she, once again, pondered upon my decision, before finally, a smile flashed across her lips. "Well, I did help... and if that's what you want, then I'm not going to stop you. Go for it and make these girls' ships sail," responded Aly as she raised her arm and slapped Naomi—who had been inching closer to her—on her back.

"Ow!" She yelped. "Why only me?!"

"Thanks Aly." I smiled back, then turned to face Edward and his friends. Alright, Rena... you gotta take deep breaths, and be brave. Before I started hesitating, I slowly headed towards them. It's going to be just fine. Just one step at a time.

As soon as the group grew closer in my vision, though, all those second thoughts haunted me, costing all the courage I had been trying to gather. At this point, the urge to stop in the middle of the way, return to my friends and regret everything I had schemed was growing stronger. What if they hate me? What if they will just shrug me off? What if they chase me away? What if...

However I couldn't turn back now, because Seb's attention was locked on me.

"Serena, you really did come!" He exclaimed, his face brightening up as he waved his hand.

The group's noises died down when my presence was made known to them, as all of their gazes—including Edward's—bored through my tensed body, as if they picked up the immense fear emanating from me. Yeah, they were probably thinking about how rude of me to randomly walk up to their group as if I knew them well.

The pressure shoving me down was the hardest force I had experienced. Gulping, I jabbed my nails into my sweaty palms while my gaze wandered to the lunches they were having: sandwiches, nuggets, burgers and pastas. I shouted at myself to initiate and break all the awkwardness apart, but nothing was coming out. Come on someone, say something instead...