24

Monday.

"Yeah, eat this, ya stupid freak! You think you'll get away with it, huh?!"

Edward exclaimed out of nowhere-but I knew it was going to happen-as he jumped out of the bench. He started punching all of the buttons in his DS, and showing off his teeth. I could see fire burning within his eyes while he faced off with what he had told me, one of the hardest champions.

Meanwhile, I was going through the tall grasses, encountering so many wild Pokemon I had to click the "run" button more than I could count. There were a couple trainers here and there attempting to block the way, but obviously I quickly defeated them with all the strategies I knew.

Super-effective moves depending on Pokemon types. Using defense moves. Gaining experience and levels so that I could defeat more opponents. That was what my friends had been advising me.

Speaking of which, Edward... never planned anything for today's hangout. I was watching some Nickelodeon cartoons with Jordan when he suddenly showed up in my front door with his mom. No one else was with him, and it was kind of weird because he would usually bring at least someone else or even the entire group along.

Nope. He invited only me to the gazebo by the park to play Pokemon together.

"Why?" I had asked. I had no idea why, but I did. I didn't even know when the heck did I have the courage to do that, but for some reason, I can utter it out so easily.

"Hmm, well, I rarely had the chance to hang out with you outside of school," he answered between his wide smiles as we were walking to our usual gathering spot. "Like, you're my friend, y'know, so we should do it often!"

Friend. That word kept echoing in my head as I was going through my gameplay and encountering yet another wild Pokemon. However, I didn't do any moves; neither did I run away or battle it. I just kept on staring as if it was going to attack without warning.

Did Edward really think of me as his friend? Maybe because I was Aly's friend and we did talk here and there, so he was just being nice to include me in? However, he was the one who approached me first and started telling me all the cool stories that kept me wanting for more. I, on the other hand...

No matter how much Aly screamed at those bullies to screw off, they were right. I was a freak who cannot even tell a story, let alone form proper sentences with other people. My nervousness wrecked me apart and I ended up hiding behind Aly or Mommy.

And as for Edward?

He was the complete opposite. He was like the sun rising in the morning and brightening everyone's days. He talked to people as if it was nothing, which was why he had so many close friends. From what I had seen, he was a pretty popular kid in class who got along with pretty much everyone.

...did I even deserve to be his friend?

I bit my lips and gripped on my DS. My eyes were kind of itchy like some dust slipped inside, so I blinked them fast.

"Heck yeah!!!" Edward screamed, punching his fist into the air as he whirled on his heels. "I finally defeated this guy!! Ahh, boy, he is strong as heck! Rena, wha..." Edward blinked as his smile shrank when he looked at me. "Rena? What's wrong?"

"E-Ed... I... um..." I murmured, my voice was shaky. "Can I a-ask you something?"

"Of course!" He nodded as he sat back down next to me. "Fire away!"

I did not dare to look at him, so I ended up facing my DS. "W-why... do you wanna be f-friends with me?"

It seemed as though the wind was the one responding, as it was blowing through us and making so much noise.