12

I was such a genius.

This all started because I decided to take a damn nap and not put the damn bread inside my bag firsthand. Obviously with all of the rushing I had to do this morning, the box would be the least of my worries. Once again, I have to endure another round of humiliation in front of Edward.

Congratulations, you airhead. Give yourself a pat in the back, then a slap in the face.

Well... it was not like staring at my bag would miraculously materialize the lunch box, so there was nothing I could do but to accept my stupidity. I glanced up towards Aly, signaling her to hand over my papers, pencil case and notebooks back.

She cocked her head and blinked, but thankfully didn't shoot me any sorts of questions for now. She silently returned everything to me, and I dropped all of them into the bag without care. Zipping it, I slowly stood up and slung it over my shoulders.

And I was so excited to give him Mom's baked bread...

"Sorry, I f-forgot to bring it. I ran late this morning," I revealed and hid my face within my short bangs, but I continued gazing upon him. He was probably annoyed at me for turning up empty-handed and taking up his time, but... then again, I could not never predict his responses, let alone read him.

He just had the same indifferent face.

"It's okay," Edward said, somewhat loosening up the tension. "I don't expect it."

"But..." My voice trailed off.

"It's alright," he reassured. "I'm not in the mood for bread. I ate a lot yesterday."

Before I could respond, I felt a tapping on my shoulder, and that was where I was confronted with Aly's raised brows and wrinkled forehead; an expression glazed with pure concern. However, she took no hesitation in marching towards her ex-childhood friend and nearly closing in their distance.

"Hey Edward, I don't care if you don't wanna talk to me, but..." she groaned and put her hands on her hips. "Ugh, c'mon dude, didn't you say you don't mind being friends with Rena? I know it's been years, but the best you can do is talk to her!" She exclaimed. "She's really trying her best, and she even brought you bread!"

...which I pretty much failed miserably. The tiny voice in my mind completed Aly's seemingly incomplete sentence.

"...Yeah, I did. I'm sorry, I just had so much to think about," he uttered out, running his hand through his hair, but avoided the strands covering what used to be his left eye. He abruptly turned and had his back on us, but I noticed the protruding outlines of fists in his pants' pockets.

"What do you mean-?!" Aly protested and was about to take another step, but Edward had trudged off back to the crowd. The only reaction I could give was a silent breath out of my mouth as I felt my ribs clenching so tightly. He had said the similar thing yesterday. I guess it's really not a wise decision to get back to him at the moment...

However, his previous acknowledgement of our friendship was quick to deny all of the incoming thoughts. Not that it was wrong though; my best friend and I have come so far to talk to him, and for him to reciprocate meant he was opening his closed doors for us. I should probably try to initiate more of our conversations, and not wait until he does something.

Besides, after all what had happened, his demeanor was... kind of understandable. I could never bring myself to detest him even with his deeds.

Here goes nothing. I shook my head and decided to trail behind him. Thankfully, my best friend followed after me without further comments, although her narrowed eyes were literally digging through his skull.