25

"We had an exam last week and now he's already giving us a research project? That's nice, this week can't get any better..."

Aly complained as soon as Mark and I came across her in the lockers to swap our books. Spacing out to the distance, she looked as though most of her life force was forcefully sucked out of her—fair enough, this was only Monday and we were already hit by another barrage of assignments.

"I mean, it's basically just you explaining the topic in 5 pages, that's it. You can even have a partner too!" Mark explained, "Just go to the library and the internet, do some searching and you're done!"

"I guess, yeah..." Aly snorted, forcing out chuckles before she loosened her shoulders. "You make it sound like a piece of cake..."

"Dear, oh dear, someone's being cranky in the morning."

And that drawling voice instantly thrusted her out of her melancholy. With twitching eyes, she gripped her jaw and furrowed her brows. With no second thoughts, she spun on her heels, making a perfect turn as she confronted her sworn arch-nemesis.

"Well, well, what do we have here? A man who thinks he's so smart but in reality his head's far up his ass," she scoffed. Placing both of her fists on her hips, she puffed up her chest like she wanted to make herself look bigger. I don't think he's gonna be intimidated by that, Aly.

"Lady, it looks like you're talking out of your ass as well." Seb smirked in return, gesticulating his finger guns at her.

While Aly laughed derisively, my gaze gravitated towards Edward, standing—no, slightly wobbling beside his friend. Observing the cacophony without a comment, he sighed exasperatedly and ran his hand through his hair, before I was the center of his attention.

While he typically had his poker face, his complexion... was paler than usual. He fought in keeping his dreary eye open and his balance. His lips were not only trembling, but they were cracked and peeling off, but he instantly moistened them with his tongue. He subsequently rubbed both of his eyes with his arm, but jerked back when he brushed over the bad eye beneath his hair.

"I'm fine."

I haven't even asked him anything, already he blurted out his response. Even his voice came out lethargic and was hoarse, blatantly contradicting his statement. Not that he seemed concerned though. Did he even sleep last night...? I don't think so...

"I know a friend in the library who can help us with research papers." Seb turned his focus on Mark and I, simultaneously ignoring Aly's glare. He offered, "She's usually in charge during breaks, and she's really good with them. We can always refer to her."

"T-Thanks, that would be great," I replied while Mark bobbed his head, biting his cheeks when Edward was merely inches away from him. He looked like he was preparing to flee in case he made a move. Like I said, he's not mad at you, Mark. It's just how he looks.

"Let's go visit her during lunch, maybe she has clues of what we're supposed to do," Seb then sneered at Aly. "I prefer it if this woman don't come, but—"

"Heh, I never asked for your help," she interrupted. "I don't need it. I have Samantha anyway," she bragged. Poor Sam...

With some leads on our research assignment, Edward became my next scrutiny; this guy looked like he was about to collapse any time soon. However, he would just refuse my help adamantly; an expected attitude of his since we were young. And as far as I knew, it took huge amounts of energy to get through him.

***

While none of my friends were in my classes before lunch time, Adelynn was on my last one.

She was merely a couple of seats away, but thanks to some tall guy blocking most of my view, she was oblivious of me. To add more, when she came in, she was more interested in frowning and staring at the floor.