15

After waiting a little while, Seb and later Adelynn joined Edward and I, subsequently driving off the awkwardness between us. As they were discussing their next basketball match, I spoke nothing and stepped out a bit. Not only was I not part of their respective teams, but I didn't know how to contribute to their conversation...

The starting time for our first class inched closer, but Aly was nowhere to be found. Usually she would arrive a couple minutes after I did and have some chat, but her lack of presence had me scanning throughout the area. She might not be as early as I did, but it was unusual for her to be this late.

Maybe she's feeling under the weather. I promptly opened up her message board on my phone and dropped her a text.

Rena: Are you coming to school?

"Rena, let's go!" called Adelynn as she waved her hand. "We're gonna have our PE class by the fields today. Don't wanna have Mr. Thomas chewing us out!"

"Ah, yeah sure!" I responded, shoving my phone into my bag and strode after the group as we entered the building. Hopefully she'll answer me soon.

We went our separate ways as we prepared and changed our clothes in the locker room. I was pulling up my gym shorts, tuning in Adelynn as she told me tales mostly about her friends that had me chuckling and raising my brows. One of them was Edward—obviously perking me up—snorting loudly in the middle of Mr. Sturges' lecture, which had sent the teacher fuming and confronting him.

The bell chimed across the hallway, and that was when someone burst into the room, which got all of our heads turned in unison. The doors revealed an exasperated Naomi, before she tramped towards us. Her high ponytail looked rumpled more than ever; wisps of her tawny hair jutting out of her head as she threw her bag to the locker and slumped herself into the bench.

"That. Was. Fucking. Close!" She wheezed at every word as she clasped her chest. "Oh my God, I thought I was gonna get detention. Jesus Christ, I was legit flying."

"Boy, oh boy," Adelynn giggled. "You were literally saved by the bell."

"For real! I don't wanna get detention again, my volley team's gonna beat my ass."

I couldn't help but to laugh. Unlike my best friend, Naomi had always arrived at the last minute—or should I say, seconds. Like Sam had always said, Naomi truly loves the thrill. Speaking of which...

"H-Have you seen Aly?" I asked.

"Nah, nope..." she said between her breaths. "I thought she was with you?"

I shook my head. Looking at my phone once more, it was empty of notifications. "She h-haven't replied to me since this morning. I thought she might be sick."

"God... I really don't know." Naomi unfastened her ponytail to tidy it up. "Hopefully if she's here, she'll be on time!"

I nodded quietly, wishing for the same case.

As the three of us stepped outside, we were quickly greeted by the sunlight, which had ascended much higher than before. Most of the boys were already stretching their limbs, and some were playing basketball and football with the others. Adelynn's expression brightened up while she strode towards them, and she was instantly embraced into the group. She's such an outgoing person just like back then.

If I can be like that someday... Unfortunately for me, that was a lost cause. You'll be an embarrassment with your stupid anxiety.

"I see you're already hanging out with Edward's circle..." Naomi sniffed as she rubbed her eyes, like there were tears on them. "God, I can't believe it... our ship is sailing to the open seas!"