chapter nineteen

I woke up around 6:50 the next morning and couldn't fall back asleep, so I decided to go sit by the lake and enjoy the California weather.

I got up and put on a t-shirt and leggings, then walked there barefoot.

it was a beautiful morning. the sun had just finished rising and was casting yellow sunlight onto the water, making it glisten. it was perfect.

I sat in the grass near the lake for a while; and for once, actually enjoyed being alone.

I was the kind of person who needed constant companionship. I was hardly ever alone, and I couldn't stand it when I was.

but I was perfectly happy in the moment, embracing the nature around me.

that is until I felt a presence behind me.

I turned around to see Julie, who had a soft smile on her face as she sat down beside me.

"hey Hallie." she said. "hi Jules." I responded.

"you're never up this early." I said.

it was true. she was definitely not a morning person, and was usually one of the last people up in the morning.

"you woke me up when you were getting dressed." she started. "but I'm glad I'm awake. I need to talk to you about something." she said.

when I heard those words come from anyone's mouth, I got extremely anxious.

"about what?" I asked, concerned.

she was silent for a moment, but I could tell she was thinking about how to word what she was going to say.

"do you realize what you are doing to those boys?" she asked, looking over at me.

"who? what boys?" I asked, confused.

"who do you think? ... Luis and Adam." she laughed.

"oh... yeah. look I've been trying-" I started but she cut me off.

"you're leading them both on, Hallie. it's like you're in a love triangle... like, like a hat trick or something!" she exclaimed.

it took me a moment to figure out what Julie meant by a 'hat trick', but once i did, i came to a huge realization.

a hattrick; scoring three consecutive goals in hockey.

it takes three to make a love triangle; and a triangle has three points, just like a hattrick.

"oh gosh." I whispered. "you're right Julie. I mean, I know I'm falling for two guys at once, but I didn't think of it that way. that's a different way of seeing it." I said.

"don't feel pressured Hallie, but you kinda need to make a decision soon. being out for the next few days should give you some time to think. but please don't rush. we still have at least two more games to play here, so that gives you plenty of time to get a feel for both boys. not that you haven't already." she told me.

and with that, she patted me on the back and shot me a friendly smile, got up, and went back into the dorm building.

I was left alone now, thinking everything over.

did she mean that I had to choose between Adam and Luis?

I couldn't do that. they both meant so much to me. one would be devastated if I went out with the other.

but I knew now that it's what I had to do. I couldn't continue this 'hat trick'; I needed to make things right.

but Julie had a point, I still had plenty of time to "get a feel" for both Adam and Luis, to see which boy I would be happier with.

so I decided to hang around with the both of them until I made my decision, whatever that may be.

that evening, Luis and I went to practice even though we both had to sit out because of our injuries.

we sat in the bleachers together and watched as coach Bombay worked the team a little too hard. but the game was tomorrow, and team USA needed all they practice they could get.

as I closely watched Adam and daydreamed a little, I felt a hand touch mine.

Luis gently grasped my fingers and wove them with his.

I was a little uncomfortable and didn't look over at him when he did.

I could feel his eyes on me. he looked at me for a moment before gingerly tilting my head over so I was looking at him.

"Hallie, what's wrong? you're acting strange." he said. "nothing. I'm fine." I stated as I looked away from him.

"Hal, I know when there is something bothering you. what's wrong?" he repeated.

"nothing... it's just that I'm really worried about my wrist. I'm afraid I'll miss more games and practices than expected." I lied.

I couldn't let him know what was really on my mind.

"oh, baby." he said as he let go of my hand and stroked my hair out of my face. my stomach fluttered when he called me that; I loved it.

"you'll be fine. I promise." he whispered as he gently placed his hand over mine.

I looked over at him and smiled, then looked down on the ice at Adam.

man, I had a lot of thinking to do.