Chapter 13

Niall's POV

Zayn had to go back to the gym to train Harry after he picked Ethan up from school and brought him home. Ezra hadn't left his room since we brought him back home early after he got in trouble, but I didn't expect him to. He seemed like he was still angry about the whole situation and he also seemed a little upset. Even though he took his punishment well, he still was only nine and was upset about the fact he couldn't have a sleepover with Alex.

"Ethan, can you go get Ezra down here so you both can set the table and tell me about your homework." I said to my youngest. He seemed a little quiet like he wanted to talk about what happened today, but didn't know if I knew or not. He ran out of the kitchen to get his big brother like I had asked while I continued to make the salad we would be having for dinner that had some berries on it and chicken.

Both the boys came down and quietly set the table for me while I put the salad on the table. Ezra kept looking at me like he wanted me to talk to him, but I wasn't going to do that yet. I wasn't mad at him, I just wanted to show him that his behavior today wasn't only about physical ways he hurt someone, but emotional too. It hurts me that he decided to use his fists instead of standing up for Ethan by just using his words. It also scares me that he's following right in his father's footsteps, he just has more privileges than Zayn ever had.

I had no idea Zayn would react the way he did to this whole situation. He didn't really stand up for Ezra in the principles office, he just spoke the truth about our son. When we got home, I don't know what made him think that he would be anything like his father. I know when both the boys were going through their terrible twos, he aways remained in control of his frustrations when the boys wouldn't listen. He never yelled or even threatened anything. That was always me in the mix and he would jump in to help me calm down. I know Zayn would never become his father because Zayn has done everything to be different. To start with, he doesn't do drugs, if he drinks it's with me and the boys aren't around to see that and he mostly, he stayed here to raise his sons and to teach them how to be men.

"Daddy, is Baba coming home for dinner tonight? He hasn't been home in a while." Ethan asked me as he got some juice out of the refrigerator. Ezra was sitting at the table looking at his hurt knuckles and not looking very happy about anything.

"Remember he told you he was training Uncle Harry for his next match? That's where he's going to be for a while instead of home for dinner. But he will come home to kiss you boys before bed." I told them, sitting down at the table. Ethan didn't look happy with that answer so he opened his mouth to ask, but Ezra cut him off with words proving he was taking this whole fighting situation harder than I knew.

"Baba is mad at me so he's staying away. He even left the room because he was so mad at me." Ezra snapped then pushed his chair out from the table. He begin to storm his way up stairs, but I wasn't just going to sit back and let my son think his father could ever be mad at him for something that was actually the right thing to do even if it wasn't the way I would have wanted this situation to be delt with.

"Ezra James Malik, you come back here and sit down so we can discuss this as a family." I said sternly. Ezra stopped in his tracks and I felt him wanting to know if he should listen or not. He slowly turned around and made his way back to the table to sit down in his chair. Ethan had a look on his face that showed how much he hated seeing his brother in distress and also confusion about what was actually happening.

"Baba isn't mad at you. There are things about your father that you boys won't know until you're old enough to understand them and not be afraid of them. He didn't have all that he's provided for you boys. He also didn't have a father that treated him as amazing at he treats you both. He's not mad at all. He's scared. Sometimes, adults get scared of memories from the past. Just like you both sometimes get scared of bad dreams. If something was bad on the past, it stays with us for a long time and we remember it at different times. Baba was remembering something bad from when he was exactly your age, Ezra. Him leaving the room had nothing to do with how he felt towards you, but only how he felt about the situation. He's still your strong father that can fight anyone and beat them, but he's also human. That's what makes him so amazing. He's not mad, baby, never think that. Baba is working right now with Uncle Harry and that's why he's not here." I assured to both my son's. Ezra wiped some tears that started falling in the middle so I reached over and gave his little arm a soft squeeze.