Forty Five

Carter

"What do you mean he went to go find Kaleb?" I asked Holden who was seated at the foot of my bed. He tried to smile reassuringly but it came out strained. "Well have you called him?"

"We've tried."

"How could you have let him leave?" I demanded my agitation growing. This was great, more trouble for Nolan. When I moved to get up and out of bed Holden put his hand on mine and I stopped.

"Don't worry about this. We'll find him."

"Don't worry?" I repeated in shock. "Don't worry! How can I not worry!"

"You need to rest and relax. You've been through a lot."

"Yeah and it looks like it's not over yet." I threw the blankets off and stood up just as my Dad and the police entered. I gave Holden a look. The kind of look that said if you don't find him they'll be here for him next.

"They're here for your statement." Dad explained.

"I can't give it now." I said looking around the room. "Where are my shoes?"

"Your shoes? You don't need your shoes right now Carter."

"I do! Nolan is out looking for him." 

"He should let me handle this." Dad growled.

"You should both let me handle it." I snapped.

"Not on your life baby." Nolan said strolling back in with a bag of Wendy's. He handed me the bag first, took a spoonful of the chocolate frosty and then handed me that as well.

"I-I thought you went to find Kaleb." I gaped.

He sent Holden a cold glare. "I don't know why you'd think that." He hissed and glanced to the officers. "You gave your statement?"

I shook my head slowly. "Not yet."

"If we could clear the room please." One of the officers said motioning towards the door.

"I'll just be in the hallways." Holden muttered in a low voice to me, I kept my glare fixed on Nolan though. The little shit head. He hadn't moved an inch, neither had Dad. In fact, Dad had a note book and a recorder out. He moved the hospital tray over my bed and set the recorder on it.

"Make sure you speak up and clearly honey." Dad said and then turned to the officer. "For record purposes, could you please state your name and today's date?"

"Dad!" I groaned and pushed it away.

"You know how important this first statement is honey." He tried supportively and then turned back to the officer. "As I was saying-"

"I don't even need to leave a statement. It was nothing." I lied and then glanced up to Nolan, he hadn't left with the others. Dad followed my gaze.

"Nolan, if you wouldn't mind-" He motioned towards the door.

Casually, almost smug even, Nolan crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back against the wall. "Go on Carter. Leave your statement."

"There's nothing to say." I bit back defiantly.

"Carter-" Dad started and I shook my head.