~2~

Chapter Two- Four Can Play That Game

Chase peers over my shoulder from the booth behind me."You texted?"

I sigh. "Chase, this is serious. I asked you to come looking inconspicuous."

He glances down at his completely black outfit, completely ridiculous. "This is inconspicuous, as well as hot as hell."

"If dictionaries had pictures, they'd put yours next to the word "conspicuous". We're indoors, for crying out loud, why are you wearing shades?"

He rolls his eyes and turns the palms of his hands to face the ceiling. "Hey, at least I showed up."

Biting back a snarky reply, I nod. "Yeah, you're right. Anyways," I take a shaky breath. "You know I said yes. To the thing."

He smirks in amusement. "Right, the thing. I have to ask, why? What would make Anna Brooks finally cave?"

I flush and begin to point out that my name is not Anna, but he holds a finger in the air. I scoff. Did he just try to silence me?

"Could it be... A cheating boyfriend?"

My blood runs cold. "You knew? Why didn't you tell me?! I know we aren't super close, but really?"

"Cam isn't exactly the most trustworthy guy."

"So you know, then? About..." I trail off and he looks at the ceiling.

"I'm not going to finish your sentences, Ann. I'm not a mind reader. About..." He prompts.

"About Parker?" I ask in a small voice.

He stiffens. "Parker?"

"And... Cameron?" His expression darkens and I shrink, immediately realizing my mistake.

"Are you telling me that your slutty little boyfriend messed with Parker?"

I bite my lip. "I'm so sorry, Chase." After a moment, I shrug and look down. "On the bright side, you guys weren't technically dating in the first place."

Can I not shut up? Am I incapable of just not speaking for one second?

He ignores me and stares ahead blankly.

"Chase? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He pauses. "I'm not going to help you."

I reel back as if I've been slapped. "What do you mean? You said you would if I wanted and I do!"

"You sound like a baby," he snaps. "And I'm sorry, but my answer is still no."

I look down in silence for a second before turning and sliding into his booth. Tilting his head so he's looking me straight in the eye, I plead with him to just think it over for a day or two.

"Goodbye, Ann."

~•~

I don't know what to do. Cameron wants me to kiss him but I've never learned how and I'm really scared.

That sounds like a predicament.

I feel like a loser scrolling through my old texts with Chase, but at this point I don't really care. If I cared, I would have taken a shower one of the past three days. I keep expecting either Parker, Cameron, or Chase to text me, but my phone is as dry as the Sahara Desert.

It really is, idiot.

Hey, don't call me a idiot, I'm about to save your small butt.

Leave my butt out of this! How can you save me? Will you talk to Cam? He is your friend after all, so it's not like you'd be going out of your way...

Heck no.

I appreciate your censoring, Sir Cuss-a-lot.

You'd better appreciate it. I personally think it's dumb that you hate swearing. It's hard remembering I can't cuss around you.

I never asked you to not curse around me.

Just shut up and be thankful, ok?

How nice. I'm swooning. In all seriousness though, I do wish Cam would have the same decency... Anyways, what's the plan?

Make him jealous, of course.

That's dumb and it literally has nothing to do with my kissing problem. You're fired.

Oh, I know it doesn't. You're on your own with that.

He can't really break up with me, if that's what you're implying. His dad likes me and wants us to be together.

Woah, okay. One, it doesn't seem very healthy that you're ok with Cam basically being forced to date you. Two, why can't Cam just go against his father and break up with you? And finally, I never said he would break up with you.

Our relationship is NOT forced, and I didn't mean it like that! Also, Cam wants to work at his father's business so he's trying to stay on his good side. Anyways, if you weren't saying he would break up with me, what were you saying?

I meant his loyalty to you probably won't last long. Maybe because you're a bore. I'm falling asleep just texting you. But, because I'm such a generous and caring person, I'm still willing to help you out.

Whatever, you jerk. You don't know anything. Also, it's not a woman's job to keep the man interested, fyi. The answer is no.

Monday, 3 pm
The answer is yes. Meet me at Howard's in two hours.

I grimace and decide to risk my dignity and call him.

"Hello?"

"Hey! Chase! You picked up!"

I can almost see him rolling his steel blue eyes. "Yeah, I picked up." I frown at his monotone voice.

"Well, uh, I just want to say... I'm sorry about Parker," I say, surprising myself.

"Thanks, I guess."

I blow a stray piece of hair away from my forehead. "Look, it's not like you two were actually dating. It's kind of your own fault for not asking her out, but if you want revenge, you could always follow through with the plan."

"Uh huh," he replies in an unconvinced tone.

I sigh at his lack of cooperation. "I'll give you twenty bucks if you help me. Final offer."

"Ann, I'm not doing this."

"I'll be over in ten."