~20~

Chapter twenty- excuses and bribery

The judges were pretty pissed at us when we switched partners.

'Now there can be no clear winners, I hope y'all are happy,' the judge had spit at us after the contest was over.

To be honest, I am happy. Even though our relationship is completely messed up, I can't stop these feelings for Chase.

It's nothing yet, but- and I hate myself for this- I want it to be. I want to be Chase's girlfriend. I want to do the cutesy things that couples do with him. I want to go dancing in the rain. I want to cook with him while singing to the radio. I want to take him places he's never been to before and I want to make him smile over and over and over again.

I've known him since fourth grade. That's about eleven years spent feeling nothing but friendship- and not even that for a long, long time- for Chase. I don't know what's changed, but I do know that I'm terrified. I'm scared at how fast this is going. I just started to like him a few weeks ago, and now I can't get him out of my mind.

Two days ago he said he wanted nothing to do with me, and this night I danced with him to one of my favorite songs.

I don't know what to do.

After cake and presents, Rosie thanks us all for coming, and after getting her phone number and promising to text her, I head home.

"Hey, Nessa?" I look over to Chase.

"Yeah?" I hate how nervous I am. Please ask me out. Ask me out. Please-

"Let me take those," he says, grabbing my heels from my hands. Even though the pavement doesn't feel great, it's better than those beautiful torture machines.

"Um, thanks." Darn it, Chase! Can't you see I want you to ask me out? He's not telepathic, idiot.

"I really liked dancing with you tonight."

"I had fun, too. I didn't know you could dance."

"I could say the same for you." Why is this so awkward? You know what? Forget this.

"Will you go out with me?" I blurt out and wince.

"What?"

"Will you... Go on a date with me. Or something."

He's silent. Absolutely freaking silent.

"Never mind. It was stupid to ask."

"Hey." He stops and lifts my chin to meet my eyes. "It wasn't stupid. I just..." He sighs.

"It's okay. I get it."

"No, you don't. I do like you, Nessa, it's just... Crap. I like you so much, Ness. You can't even imagine. But..."

"Forget it, Chase," I choke. "I'm sorry for wasting your time." I don't stop running until I reach my room.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Chase P.O.V

"Hey, man, what's up with you? You look like your dog just died." Luke smirks.

"Leave him alone, dude. He probably got his little heart broken by his girlfriend," Chris laughs.

"Shut up," I mumble.

"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the baby fit you're throwing. What's going on? We're your friends, dude. You can tell us your angsty drama."

"Just leave me alone, okay? It's none of your freaking business."

"Come on, guys, cut him some slack." Dylan rolls his eyes at their behavior. "You all are acting like children."

"Aw, Dil, you're just mad because you haven't gotten any action ever since you started dating Em."

"That's a low blow, lukey-pookey."

Luke's face turns bright red. "How did you-"

"I'm pretty sure Canadians heard what went on last night. Who's the girl, huh?"

"She's no one," Luke mutters.

"Please. You don't let anyone call you nicknames, but from what I overheard last night, you didn't seem to mind."

"Guys! We're getting off topic. Chase wants to tell us about his lady issues."

"No I don't. There's nothing to tell."

"Fine. Maybe we'll just eat this pie Dylan made without you..."

My mouth waters. Dylan's pie is legendary. "What kind is it?" I ask shakily.

"Oh, just his mom's famous peach cobbler pie," Luke says casually. "He had leftover supplies, so he also made some chocolate cream pie, but you know. I guess we'll just have to eat it ourselves..."

"Give me some, you asshole," I growl.

He laughs. "Are you ready to confess?"

"Just get me some pie!"

"Coming right up, grumpy pants."

"I hope a rat bites you in the balls," I mumble.

"Heard that," he sings, serving me two generous slices of each type of pie. I haven't had Dylan's pie in three months.

After I finish inhaling the warm, delicious pie, I look up to see everyone staring at me expectantly.

"May I help you?"

"Spill."

"Fine. But you all really need to get lives." I sigh. "Vanessa asked me out."

"Who the heck is Vanessa?"

"Ann," Dylan tells Chris. "I'll explain it to you later."

I guess news travels pretty quickly.

"No. Way. Ann asked you out? I thought she was way too stuck up her butt for that!"

"Shut up, Luke," I growl and he puts his hands up in surrender.

"I didn't say yes."

"What the fuck, Rivera?!"

"Are you fucking shitting me right now?!"

"You stupid piece of shit. I should punch the lights out of you right now."

"I know, I know!"

"Man, what the hell is wrong with you? You've been walking around with heart emojis in your eyes for months now, Chase! This girl has you wrapped around her little finger, and you just turned her down? And I thought I was messed up. Shit," Luke curses.

"Look, I know! But I have a reason!"

"Well, we're all ears."

"I'm doing this to save her life."

"Bullshit!"

"No, literally! She's in danger, and I'm the reason why. I- I'm the reason why someone wants to kill her."