~8~

Chapter Eight- Stalkers and Stuff

I drag my heavy bag to the porch grudgingly. Cam was supposed to be here to drive me to the beach house an hour ago. How is it that he's late when I'm the one who had to scrub permanent marker off my face for half an hour? At the memory of the mustache I smile in spite of my situation, reliving the events of the previous night for a second before forcing my mind back to the present. Annoyed once more, I check my phone for the millionth time.

"Ah, finally," I frown, swiping to see the long awaited text.

Hey, Ann- I'm taking Parker to the beach because she fractured her ankle. Get Chase to take you please, thanks babe :)

?! No? Why didn't you drive her to the people who actually offered to bring her? We really need to have a talk when I get to the beach house.

Why was I ever with him in the first place? His "free spirited" attitude was cute five years ago, but I should have left him behind the moment that he began the twelfth grade and still had the common sense and reliability of a child.

But I still love him, I concede with a sigh. I just wish that I didn't always have to be the one to bend.

After a full minute of waiting for a reply that I would likely never get, I start to roll my suitcase towards Chase's. It's blisteringly hot moments like these when a girl wishes that her lazy self had just gotten her driver's license rather than having to car pool every darn time she needs to go out.

Chase lives downtown, twenty minutes away from here when walking. I should probably text him to make sure he doesn't leave without me.

Hey, jerk, wait up. I'm coming to your house and I need a ride.

Yeah, that's not happening. Get your boyfriend to, or better yet, drive your own car!

I caaaan't! Cam left without me. Please?

I don't want to haul your annoying butt all the way to the beach.

Please. The beach is an hour away and your truck will be doing all the hauling.

Well, you're out of luck, sweetheart. I got a ticket and I'm not allowed to drive for a month, so Luke and Molly are taking my truck and driving us all there.

There are only two seats though?

And a pool.

Fantastic, I'll be in the pool.

With Luke?

Why not?

He's a hardcore player.

So? I have a boyfriend.

Like that will stop him.

Whatever. I'm on my way, going down King's street. Come pick me up, I'll probably be near Morning Moon by the time you get here.

Whatever, chica.

I smirk and slide my phone into my back pocket.

"Hey, pretty face! Smile for me!" I turn in the direction of the voice and hear a camera click. The guy, probably a good twenty years older than me, whistles.
"How about you come over to my apartment? I swear I'll keep you entertained."

"Leave me alone, please," I warn him, pulling my suitcase faster and looking down.

"What's wrong with you? I'm giving you a compliment! Don't be a-" I cover my ears with one hand and a shoulder before I can hear the last part and try to walk faster, but he stops in front of me and leans down to make eye contact.

"Hey, you're being rude right now. I'm just trying to talk. I've been seeing you walking around lately, and I think you're beautiful. Let me take you to my apartment and we can get to know each other."

"No, thank you. I'm busy." I grab the suitcase handle and start walking away, but he grabs me by the wrists.

"What are you in such a rush for? Come on, we're going to my house, I have a really nice bottle of wine waiting and it would be a pity for it to go to waste."

"Leave. Me. Alone." I reply with clenched teeth.

His expression morphs into one of barely controlled anger and his grip on my wrists gets tighter.

"That is no way to talk to me! Can't you see how lucky you are? Most ladies would kill to have a chance with me!"

"Then go see one of them, I don't care, just leave me alone!" I shout, tugging my wrists out from his grip.

He sighs and purses his lips. "This is what's wrong with this generation. They don't know how to behave properly in front of a gentleman. See, I'm doing you a favor, offering you a chance to come into my home and drink with me, and you're practically spitting in my face. Come on. Let's go."

"Hey!" I glance over my shoulder and almost cry tears of relief. Molly pulls up next to us in Chase's truck.

"Wow, Ann! I didn't pin you down as a cheater."

"What?"

She laughs. "Oh, please, don't act all innocent, we've caught you red-handed. Don't worry, I won't tell Cam."

"No, I don't want this! He won't leave me alone, I don't want to go to with him!"

"Playing the victim, huh?" The guy fakes a chuckle. I feel the pure outrage I knew so well as a child well up in my chest and without thinking, I kick him as hard as I can in a place I know will do damage.

"Ow!!!! What the-" his profanities are swiftly cut off by a hard punch in the nose.

"Don't ever touch a girl without her consent again," I growl. I hear a soft "wow" behind me and turn to meet Chase's eyes, which are wide open in shock.

"Surprise isn't a good look on you, sweetheart. Did you think you were going to be a hero? That's too cute," I coo teasingly, hoping he doesn't notice the shaking of my knees and hands.

"I could have hit him harder," he grumbles.

"Yeah, I seriously doubt that. Let's get going."