~22~

Chapter twenty two- hunted

Chase P.O.V

My blood went cold as I re-read Emmie's text.

'Meet me at the park, wear something nice like that button down you wore at the concert that one time :)'

A second soon followed.

'Don't bring anyone else. I just want to see you.'

"Dude, what the heck? Your date keeps sending me creepy texts." Dylan reads them over my shoulder and shrugs.

"They're probably just trying to fix things between you and Vanessa. You should go, I'm sick of you mooning over her all day."

"Just go, you're annoying us all."

I reluctantly nod. "I guess you guys are right...I'm going."

"Wait," Dylan stops me. "Bring her this." He takes a rose out of a vase and forces it into my hands.

"Ow! Thorns, dude. Why do you have a vase full of flowers anyway?"

Dylan looks at the ground and turns bright red. "I was going to give them to Emmie tomorrow..."

I smirk and close the door behind me as Chris and Luke blow up with laughter.

I quickly realize that Emmie didn't specify which park to meet them at, but I relax when I see a bright red slide on the bottom of the hill.

That's a really weird place to put a park. No houses near it or anything, I think to myself and a shiver crawls up my spine. Chill out, Chase, you're acting like a baby. I sigh and grasp the rose tighter, absentmindedly picking off the thorns as I walk down the hill to meet Nessa. Nessa, I think with a smile. Such a beautiful name. She's such a beautiful person.

I frown when I get to the park and only see Emmie.
"Emmie, where's-" they cut me off with a terrified shake of the head. "You have to get out of here!" They scream-mouth. Aren't they the one who texted me to be here in the first place?

"What's going on?" I ask. Emmie starts to answer before looking behind me. The color completely drains from their brown skin and they start shaking.

"Hello, my dear," a voice purrs in my ear and my heart stops. Cindy?

"What are you doing here, Cindy? What have you done with Vanessa?!" 

Cindy blinks. "I haven't done anything with her, love! I just wanted to see you... I thought you'd want to see me," she says in a soft voice.

"I-okay, Cindy. What do you want from me?"

"What do you mean, what do I want from you?! Is it too much to ask for a little love and attention?" Her eyes go down to the rose and I stiffen. "You got me a rose!" She smiles and takes it from me. "You didn't have to de-thorn it for me, ya know," she winks. "I'm not one to shy away from a little pain."

"It's not for you, Cindy."

"...What did you just say?" She turns to me with a look that shoots fear into my heart.

"It was for Vanessa. Where is she?"

"How should I know?! I just wanted to see you! That's all I've ever wanted!"

"Cindy, please calm down. I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same."

Cindy doesn't seem to hear me. "I can't wait for us to be a family. You, me, and Tyler."

I freeze. "Tyler?"

"He's your baby, silly," she laughs.

"Cindy, I don't have a child."

"Well, not yet, of course. That doesn't happen until year four." 

I can't even process half the crap she's throwing at me. "I will never like you like that, Cindy. I'm sorry. We've always just been friends." She says nothing and stares at my lips as if waiting for something. After a full minute, she lifts her eyes up to look into mine.

"She's changed you, hasn't she?" She shakes her head, tears welling up in her eyes. "I know you love me, Chase. I can imagine that you're confused right now, but everything will be okay soon. For now, sleep." In a flash, she's right next to me, covering my mouth with a thick, wet piece of cloth.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"Chase, you absolute piece of crap."

I groan and try to ignore the annoying voice.

"Boy, get up! You were the opposite of helpful out there."

I open my eyes slowly in annoyance. This voice is getting on my nerves. "Leave me alone, Emmie."

"Leave me alone? You sound like a baby! Are you upset because you, poor thing, couldn't handle a little ether? Well, I got freaking shot so get the hell up and suck it up."

"You got shot?"

"Yeah, I tried to take the gun from Cindy before she shot Vanessa and ended up getting shot myself."

"Vanessa was shot?! Is she okay?!"

They roll their eyes. "No, she wasn't shot, no thanks to you. The police showed up right on time, even though they tried to arrest me first."

"I was passed out! I couldn't have done anything!"

"Really? Well, while Cindy was getting put away for being a psychotic erotomanic wacko, you were busy throwing up. You were pretty awake then. Honestly, I don't know what Vanessa sees in you! You're such an idiot! Why would you even come to the park in the first place?"

"I thought Vanessa was going to be there!" I defend myself, aware that I sound like a whining child.

"Why would she want to meet you at some creepy run down park? And I'm fine, thank you very much."

"Where'd she shoot you?"

"On my leg."

"Oh."

Man, I feel stupid. Instead of saving Vanessa, I was passed out in the woods like a complete fool. I bet I even drooled a bit in my sleep.

"And by the way, ether doesn't last that long, stupid. You were just too scared to wake up." They shake their head. "You'd better shape up if you're going to be with Vanessa, Chase. It's okay to be scared, but you have to put her first. You don't deserve her, but she really likes you despite that. The next time her life is in danger, will you be able to help her? Think about that."
With that, they push their wheelchair out of the doorway, leaving their words echoing in my mind.