~23~

Chapter twenty five- taking a break

After Emmie and Chase get released from the hospital, Emmie and I end up eating at Subway after realizing our lack of food at home. It's great to chat with Emmie and learn more about their childhood and three crazy siblings, but I can't help daydreaming a bit about my queen sized bed back at the beach house.

Once I get home, I will make up for the lack of sleep I got last night and curl up under the soft white comforter. I can already imagine my head hitting the plump, cushiony pillow.

"Vanessa. Nessa. Nessa!"

My head snaps up and I smile sheepishly at them.
"Sorry, Em. I love hearing your stories, it's just that this past week has been so exhausting and unreal, and I haven't gotten much sleep..."

"It's fine, I get it," they laugh. "Let's get you to that bed."

Why couldn't I have met Emmie sooner? They're even in my friend group, but I haven't paid them much mind. Now I already don't know what I'd do without them.

Let's just hope they aren't a psychopath with a creepy past with one of my guy friends, my conscious retorts dryly. I mentally roll my eyes at its pettiness.

Okay, so two of your friends turned out to be not so friendly, but really, Nessa. Parker did try to save your life and she saw her faults afterwards, and Cindy was never really your friend, she was just connected to you by other friends.

I'm so exhausted, I'm talking to myself, and I don't even realize that I'm in a car being driven home.

"Thank you so much, Em."

"No problem, Nessa. Thank you so much for taking a chance on me, and I'm sorry I never got to cook you that Indian. Maybe you could come over to my house sometime for dinner? My mom and dad cook really well."

"That'd be great," I murmur sleepily.

"Right, I have to remember not to have a real conversation with you when you're tired."

"Hm," I nod as if taking their comment in deep thought. "Yep, yep, yep..." I have no idea what they said. Hopefully they don't notice.

"Alright, sleepyhead, we're here."

I almost cry in relief as I sprint up the stairs and unlock the door. The sound of running water cuts off abruptly and I raise my eyebrows. "Sounds like someone's home."

I notice Luke, Chris, and Dylan sitting on the couch watching tv. "Hey, guys."

Emmie pops up behind me and their eyes light up when they see Dylan. "Dyl!" They run to him and hug him tightly.

"Hey, Em, I got you these roses..." They squeal and he notices me standing awkwardly at the door. What am I doing?

"Chase just got out of the shower," he informs me as if it's my business. I thank him politely and head upstairs to my room.

"Hey, Nessa." I turn around and see Chase, water droplets clinging onto his tanned skin. I quickly avert my eyes, a blush creeping up my neck.

"Hey, Chase. You look like crap," I observe, noticing the bags under his eyes.

"Gee, thanks. So do you."

"Where've you been? I stopped by the house a few hours ago and you weren't there."

"Oh." He looks away as if embarrassed. "I was at the gym."

"At the gym? You just got knocked out!"

"I know, but I realized.." He trails off. "Can we talk in your room? I need to sit down." I nod and lead him into my room, where he plops onto the bed sideways. I climb into bed and rest my legs across his stomach.

"I realized that I'm not strong enough to take care of anyone, and that scares the crap out of me. I should've been able to save you when that creep was hitting on you, or when Cindy was threatening you. I can't save you, Vanessa, and that's terrifying. I want to change that."

I bite my lip and try not to cry. Have I done anything in my life to deserve this man?
"You don't have to be strong for me. I like you as you are, and you're perfect to me." I sit up and kiss his cheek softly. "Besides, I think we've established by now that I can defend myself pretty well physically. I'm going to sleep now. I love talking to you, but my bed will always come first." I close my eyes and try to suppress a smile when I feel his warm lips touch my forehead.

A/N- Emmie is nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns. This is not an accident. I'm sorry if I haven't been clear on that but I wanted a story with a casually queer character without a tragic backstory or any explanation, as straight cis characters don't need an explanation as to why they are straight and cis.