~24~

Chapter twenty six- he doesn't know

My eyes flutter open at the smell of chocolate and my heart pangs when I notice Chase has left.

I can't stay upset for long, though, smelling that thick chocolate-y smell that could wrap me up and give me the warmest hug ever. I need help.

Grinning, I pad downstairs and peep into the kitchen. My smile grows even larger when I see Chase with his back to me, checking the oven while stirring a mixture and humming a tune. I lean closer to listen better and almost fall over when I hear him singing my name softly to the tune of American Pie.

'Bye, bye miss Vane-essa Brooks, drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye..."

I creep up on him and look over his shoulder at the chocolaty mixture before wrapping my arms around him and sneaking a taste.
"Boo," I whisper in his ear as I lick the mix off of my finger. He jumps slightly and looks at me in amusement.

"You're not scary."

"I beg to differ. You jumped. Are you making brownies?"

"Yes, miss nosy pants. They were a surprise for you, but since you ruined the surprise I'll have to eat them all myself."

I pout and drop my head onto his shoulder. "You wouldn't do that to a girl whose name you were just singing."

His ears turn red in embarrassment. "You heard that, huh?"

"No, but you just told me," I tease and he laughs.

"Okay, whatever. Don't take it too much to heart. You know that song is about a plane crash, right?"

"Yes, but I don't care. You still love me," I laugh and he raises his eyebrows.

"Love is a very strong word."

My smile slips and I let go of him. "Sorry."

"No, Vanessa, I was just-"

"It's fine. I was too forward, it's my fault-"

"Vanessa." He turns around and cups my chin in his hands. "You mean everything to me. I don't want to lose you over some stupid comment. I wasn't thinking."

"Whatever, it's fine. I think the brownies are burning."

He swiftly turns around and takes the brownies out, and I take the chance to slip out of the room and head back to my bedroom.

Gosh, you're so stupid, Vanessa! Of course he doesn't love you. You barely even know him! And now you've scared him off with your stupid clingy self.

A knock on the door forces me out of my thoughts. "Come in."

The door creaks open and I keep my head down as Chase sits next to me and places the brownies in between us. "Vanessa, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I would never want to ruin my friendship with you by saying something stupid."

You just did, my friend.

"You didn't do anything wrong at all, Chase. I'm being dumb. Just... Go have fun with your friends. I'll stay here and eat these brownies." He frowns and stares at me for a while. Silently, I plead with him to stay. Eventually, he stands up and leaves, closing the door behind him.

I stare at the brownies for a long time before smashing them with my fist. I don't deserve or want his freaking stupid friendship brownies.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Chase P.O.V

What the heck is wrong with me? All I could do was stare at her crestfallen face and leave.

I find the guys, but have to leave when they attempt to beat me up after I explain what had just happened.

"You stupid piece of crap!"

"Are you messing with me? I will end you!"

"You better get out of here before I tear you apart."

I could have left unharmed if Emmie didn't hurl a pillow to my head on my way out, causing me to trip and giving the guys a chance to beat me up. I don't even resist. I deserve it.

After a few kicks, punches, and verbal assaults, I manage to leave with only my dignity severely damaged.

I collapse on the couch and hold my head, their words swirling around in my head.

'You don't deserve her!... You seriously called her a friend?... What is wrong with you?... Man, you sure know how to completely mess everything up... I hope she kicks you in the balls...'

I turn on the tv in order to clear my head, but one question rolls around in my head.

'Don't you love her?' Emmie had asked.

Do I love her? Does she love me?