~10~

Chapter Ten- Friendship is Overrated

(Trigger warning: mention of r*pe (non graphic))

Chase P.O.V

"Thank you for being such a good friend." Ann flashes a sweet smile at me before climbing out of the truck to claim her bag from the front seat. I let out a sigh.

Friends. A great thing to be, but lately, not enough. I knew Ann way before Cameron found and claimed her as his property, which is how she lets herself be treated by him. Like freaking property.

And look at me. Cursing like a little school kid. She's done this to me. She's destroying me. I hate her so much for what she's done to me. I hate her because I love her.

I growl and hit the side of the truck.

"Is everything okay?" Parker wraps her small arms around me from behind and I tense.

"Why wouldn't it be? Now go back to your little adventure, please, I'm preoccupied at the moment."

I feel her frowning against my skin. No, I don't hate Ann. The girl who has her arms pressed tightly against my body, I hate her.

"Love, we should talk-"

"Actually, I'm a bit tired. I'm going inside."

"Well, okay... See you around?"

I flick her off over my shoulder and slam the door to the beach house behind me.

Luke comes up to me and pounds me on the back. "What's up, man? Did you score? That chick is pretty hot, if you don't look at her face."

I roll my eyes. "You're just jealous because you haven't had any action in a month."

Luke scowls before his face contorts into a sly grin. "So you did! I'm proud of you, man. I heard you haven't-"

"No, I didn't. She has a boyfriend."

"Oh, right, because her boyfriend isn't cheating, too."

"Just shut up, Luke. She's decent, she could never do that to Cameron." I push past him and set up my room, making sure to take up all the space. I don't know where Parker thinks she's sleeping, but it won't be here.

"Save it, please, I know what you're doing. I can't believe you're just brushing me off like that!"

A low, baritone voice responds quietly, and I press my ear against the wall to hear better.

"No, I will not shush! How dare you? It's not like everyone else here doesn't know you've been messing around with another girl! I mean, wow, Cam. You kissed your best friend's girlfriend, do you know how messed up that is?"

"I don't see what the problem is, she means nothing to me."

I hear her take a deep breath of air before continuing.

"How could you, Cam? I poured all my love into you. You know how hard that was for me!"

"Don't throw the little 'I've got trust issues because of my fucked up childhood' tantrum at me. How do you think it made me feel when you denied me again and again? I had to get something from someone!"

I hear sniffling and my fists clench. He's going to wish he never met me if he makes her cry.

"I thought you loved me, Cam. Love doesn't need substitutes. It doesn't need fillers to take the place of a little scaredy cat who's anxiety levels are too freaking high to even kiss someone." She takes a long, shaky inhale of a breath.