~14~

Chapter Fourteen- Good Guys, Bad Guys, and Chase

Ann P.O.V

I was in my living room watching tv on the floor when I noticed I was sitting on someone's lap.

"Who are you?"

"Don't you know? It's Chase. The one who saved your life."

"What do you mean?"

"You were drowning. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Are you?"

"As long as you're here. You know that I care a lot about you. I would risk my life every day for you if I had to, Vanessa."

"What?"

I turn around and see my own eyes staring back at me.

"You have to tell him the whole truth. It won't be long before Parker exposes you."

When I blink again, Chase is in front of me once more.

~•~

When I wake up I notice that I've been staring at Chase. How long have my eyes been open? I smile at him and mouth a 'hey' to him. He does the same and I notice that we've both lost our voices.

He'd be just fine if it weren't for you, you cruel jerk.

I squeeze my eyes shut and try to go back to sleep, but my guilt won't allow it. I already told him about how I was handled by my dad, but this is something else, this is keeping a whole different identity from him.

"Here's some water, Ann. Courtesy of Chase." I open my eyes and Emmie smiles at me before walking back to the kitchen.

My name sounds foreign to me after that dream. My name. This has gone on long enough.

~•~

"Eat some breakfast. You haven't had any food in almost two days."

After a good night's sleep, I finally have my voice back. Granted, it's a little croaky, but I'll take what I can get.

Emmie's set up a gigantic platter of breakfast foods for Chase and I. I notice that Chase is already helping himself.

"Hey," I greet him, wincing at my frog voice.

"Hey back," he smiles between mouthfuls. How does his voice manage to sound smooth even after all that went down?

I grab a spoonful of yogurt and sigh in delight.  "This yogurt is amazing!"

Chase smiles at me again.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want some?" I offer him a bite and he shakes his head.

"I'm lactose intolerant."

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" Just shut up, Ann. You sound like the most idiotic frog to ever croak.

"It's fine," His smile fades.

"Chase, I really am sorry, I didn't know-"

"It's not that." He sighs. "Parker is in really bad shape. They had to put her on a ventilator so she can breath. They're taking a bunch of tests and doing their best, but she needs another week of care, so we have to stay here. Cam and Parker's parents are covering the hospital and house rental costs."

"Oh my gosh," I choke. Suddenly my false identity doesn't seem like such  a big problem. "Wait, how did she get hurt?"

"You don't know? She jumped in and tried to save you."

I gape at him. "But... She was the one who dared me to jump off the cliff! Oh my gosh..."

"Oh, and the owner of these rentals invited us to his daughter's birthday party in two days."

"What? I'm not sure I'm in the mood for parties now. It's just- Parker tried to save me, oh my gosh."

"I know. You don't have to worry about her, she'll be fine after a few days of care. Just take care of yourself, for now."

"Thank you, Chase."

He nods and looks down. "I need to know something."

My heart begins to race. "Of course. What is it?"

He remains silent and pats the seat next to him. Turning to me, he looks me straight in the eye. "Why would you lie to me your entire life?"

"What?"

"Vanessa."

I intake a sharp breath. "Who told you?"

"They heard Parker asking about you. Why on earth would you feel the need to fake your name for so long? Is this about your dad?"

I press my lips together and avoid the tears brimming. "It's not fake... It's my middle name. Vanessa Ann Brooks."

"Why?"

I shudder at the memory.

"I need to know, An- Vanessa."

I nod and close my eyes. He deserves the truth. "When I was a baby, my mom got to chose my first name and my dad the middle name. He hated the name Vanessa. When I got a bit older, he took me aside at my birthday party and told me that the name Vanessa was for sluts, and that if he ever heard myself or anyone else refer to me as it, he'd use the belt on me and then he and my mom would leave me. I got pretty strange looks when I got up in front of the class and insisted everyone start calling me Ann." I pause sadly. "In his suicide note, he apologized and gave me permission to use my real name, but by then, I had a lot more friends and I didn't want to switch names again. Even though I have always hated my middle name."

He looks down. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I had no idea."

"It's fine."

"It's not fine. What do you want to be called?"

I rest my head on his shoulder. "Just keep calling me sweetheart."

He smiles. "I can't call you that all the time."

"Then Vanessa or Nessa is just fine."

"Okay, Nessa. Can I finish my breakfast now?"

I smile and sit up. "As you wish, your highness."

"Thank you, peasant."

I roll my eyes and lay down with my legs resting on Chase's lap.

"Chase, I-"

"Hey, guys! Are you feeling up to a visit? The hospital called and Parker is insisting that she sees you all." Emmie pokes their head into the room worriedly. "I kind of told them you would come just to get her to shut up. Apparently the hospital has been getting complaints about her noise volume."

I sigh and nod. "You're going to have to help me up, though."