18

Mrs. Montgomery's POV
I strolled through the hallways of Rosewood elementary. I usually taught in the high school but they needed a sub for today. I walked into Room 33 and started to take role. My heart stopped when I saw two names. No way. I looked up from the list and glanced around the room. A boy and a girl sat close to the door, talking to each other. One that looked a lot like Aria and one that looked a lot like Ezra.
"M...Mason Fitz" I called and he raised his hand.
"Here"
He had Ezra's eyes. They shone beautifully against the light.
"Hope Fitz" I say and she raises her hand.
A little Aria.
"I'm here Miss.." She scrunched her nose as if she was thinking. "I'm sorry I don't know your name"
"It's Montgomery. Mrs. Montgomery"
Her eyes shoot open and her mouth drops.
"Hey that's my Mommy's last name. Montgomery-Fitz"
She gives me a big smile. I nod in agreement and move down the list. When three o'clock came around, it was time for all the kids to go. A bell rang telling the kids they could leave but I stopped the twins.
"Mason and Hope, can you stay here for a moment?" I ask and Hope glances at Mason who gives her a head shake as if saying it was alright.
They both approach the desk and I tell them to take a seat in front of me.
"When did you guys move back to Rosewood?" I ask.
"We've lived here forever" Hope says, opening her arms wide. "Our whole lives"
That was impossible. Aria told me about five years ago that they were traveling the word. She said we wouldn't be able to talk much since they'd be very busy. I hadn't heard from her in over five years.
"Where do you live?" I ask
"Mommy told us not to tell that to strangers" Mason told me.
"I'm not a stranger" I say and the twins look at each other. "I'm your grandmother"
"Then we live in a little house" Hope says
"Mason what number is it?"
Mason thinks for a second before talking "3B"
They lived in apartment 3B. The one Ezra used to live in. They moved from California here and didn't tell anyone.
"Where is your mommy?" I ask and Hope starts to cry.
Why would she be crying? What happened to Aria?
"She's in the hospital" Mason says.
"Is she having a baby?" I ask, obviously that was what was going on.
"No she's sleeping" He says
Aria was in a coma at the hospital and no one thought to call me.
"And your daddy?" I ask
"Daddy's in jail" Hope tells me
Ezra in jail, no way. I could never see that in a million years happening. I didnt know if this was a good thing to ask the children but I did anyway.
"Do you know why he went to jail?" I ask and they nod in unison.
"Because he hurt mommy"