Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I can't blink. I can't even breathe. My fingers twitch in horror as Bennett leans closer to the woman who stole – and broke – my heart. He pushes aside a strand of her long, chestnut hair and whispers something in her ear. She tips her head back with laughter and my vision becomes hazy with fury.

I stalk towards them, clenching an unclenching my fists as I do. It isn't long before Annie notices me, and her pink stained cheeks drain of their color. She nervously tugs her hand out of Bennett's and he frowns, glancing around to find the cause.

Our eyes collide.

Sinister glee almost sparkles in his emerald gaze. He slinks his arm around Annie's shoulders and grins.

"Ah, Trey. You made it."

I don't stop until I'm inches from his face, this time uncaring that he has a bit more height than I do. What he has in height I have in strength.

"Get your fucking hands off of her."

I state it with a low, trembling voice. Bennett's right brow raises with surprise. Annie shifts uncomfortably in his arms. Despite it being overly warm outside, she crosses her arms over her chest and huddles into herself. It's one of her nervous habits – a habit Bennett will never get the privilege of learning.

"I'm sorry," he says slowly. "Did I miss something?"

My jaw tics, and I find myself grabbing a handful of Bennett's shirt. Annie gasps and scuttles away from his side. Good. That's progress.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" I hiss.

Bennett doesn't push me away. On the contrary, he leans in further and a daring grin slips across his stupid, fucking lips.

"Just trying to have a fun time at the party." Then he glances to the side and eyes Annie from head to toe. "And maybe later, a little more fun..."

What little restraint I have snaps. My knuckles collide with Bennett's jaw, and a searing pain shoots through my hand. Annie hurries to my side, and her small hands claw at my shirt. She begs me to stop.

"Trey, please," she pleads. "Please don't do this."

It's the first time I've heard her voice in weeks. It's a familiar voice, one that has whispered sweet nothings in my ear for as long as I can remember. I'm not as affected as I thought I would be hearing it, though. I shrug her off and watch Bennett stumble back a few steps.

He gathers his bearings and launches at me. I grunt as the air is forced from my lungs, and the two of us tumble to the ground. Fists start flying. Blood splatters from his nose and my lip. My face is numb from the pain, but I manage to blink away the blood to see Bennett's in worse shape than I am. His nose is swollen and dripping with blood, and one of his eyes looks like it's swelled shut.

People start shouting around us, and a pair of hands grab ahold of my shoulders. They pull me away, and this time I don't have the strength to fight back. I tilt my head to the side and spit out a mouthful of blood.

Roland releases my shoulders and gives me a good shove towards the parking lot. The music dies down in the background. Or maybe I just can't hear it. I turn to look at the scene I'm leaving behind, and most of the people left on the lawn are staring back at me – stunned. Most of their expressions are confused, but I notice a familiar look of annoyance from a few of them.

Annie rushes over to Bennett's side, and I think I hear her apologizing on my behalf. Anger swells in me again, but this time I don't bother. I've done enough damage for one night.