Chapter 13

Chapter 13

By the time I find my keys, call a cab to drop me off at the bar from last night, and drive myself to the pool, a quarter of the practice has already passed. I rush through changing, stuffing my gym bag into the locker while simultaneously pulling out my towel, goggles and swim cap.

Fuckin' Bennett.

I haven't been staying with him a full day and already I'm late to my first practice. Roland might be a backstabbing piece of shit, but at least he's punctual. I jog out of the locker room and come to an abrupt halt when I notice no one is in the pool. The entire team is dressed in their street clothes and in the stands, all of their eyes on me.

"Well look who decided to join us."

The coach's voice bellows through the room. He stands from the bench and begins walking towards me. I swallow hard and glance at the rows of guys all staring back at me. My eyes narrow in on Roland who is sitting near the end of the second row. His disappointed gaze collides with mine for a split second before he looks away.

"What is this?" I ask the coach when he's only a few feet away from me.

He grins and extends a hand to me. I shake it with mine and he nods back to the rest of the swimmers.

"I believe introductions are in order," he answers. "I'm Coach Bran."

"Trey."

"Well it's nice to finally meet you Trey. And since these guys have been waiting here for the better part of a half hour, I'd like to cut to the chase. On behalf of this team and the University, we'd like to formally offer you a spot on the men's swim team."

I stare back at him in disbelief. Pride swells within my chest, but it's a mixed emotion. My gaze falls on Bennett. He's one of the few teammates who is smiling, but the reason behind it is far from genuine.

He knew this was going to happen today. He knew.

Not only did he purposely withhold the information, but also he made sure I was as late as possible. I look like the biggest asshole ever. The entire team was waiting for me, ready to give me the very spot I've been fighting for with every last shred of my energy. And what do they get in return?

A second impression of me that's almost as bad as the first – yet again thanks to fuckin' Bennett.

My jaw tightens as I force a stiff smile across my lips. I hold Bennett's gaze while speaking loud enough for the entire team to hear.

"Best news I've heard in a long time, Coach. I accept."

_______________________________

The rest practice is spent in the bleachers. Coach Bran assigns a few guys to run and get us a couple dozen doughnuts and coffee. While we eat, he introduces me to every member of the team. Most of them I recognize, and a few I even know by name from Erik's party. The only two he passes over are Bennett and Roland. I do my best to keep my eyes away from them, and in return, they both seem to have no trouble staying far away from me.

At some point I get cornered by Cameron and the conversation takes a dreadfully dull turn. He gives me the full run-down of all his latest competition times, as well as the new time he hopes to have by the end of the season. By Cameron's third tangent - and by my fourth doughnut - Coach whistles to for our attention.

"Alright, alright, settle down. Tonight we got practice again. I expect you all to be here – on time – so we can have our first practice together as a full team. Questions?"